animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Larry Elmore's Kickstarter campaign

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Larry Elmore's Kickstarter campaign

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:18 am

Do you remember Dungeons and Dragons? The artist who illustrated the game is Larry Elmore. He has a Kickstarter campaign in progress to produce a book featuring his art.

His goal is $17,500 and with 41 days until the deadline he's at $94,699 from 591 backers as of this writing.

Look at the difference crowdfunding is making in the lives of many creative people!

Check out the Larry Elmore campaign here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/148 ... k?ref=live

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Larry Elmore's Kickstarter campaign

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Time to check in on how fantasy artist Larry Elmore is doing with his Kickstarter campaign.

With 37 days to go there are 749 backers pledging $112,012 so far of a $17,500 goal.

Do my eyes deceive me? :shock:

Let's make sure...

Nope! In fact when readers click on the link it'll be even higher.

I'm very very happy to see how successful so many creative individuals and groups are becoming through crowdfunding.

It's inspiring and energizing and has given me great hope and renewed faith and enthusiasm in what our community can do through independent means.

Remember my concept of The Independent Economy years ago on AN?

This it it folks! It's here! 8-)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Where was Larry Elmore at a few days ago with his campaign?

Well, he's at $130,565 with 918 backers and 33 days to go from an initial goal of $17,500.

Sure beats working for a living. :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:13 pm

With 27 days to go Larry Elmore has 1,062 backers pledging $149,809 of a $17,500 goal.

Man! :o

There's still plenty of time left to this Kickstarter campaign...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Larry Elmore is doing alright with his campaign.

There's 1,165 backers pledging $161,193 of a $17,500 goal with 21 days to go.

Yowza!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:29 pm

Less than 3 days to go on Larry Elmore's Kickstarter campaign and let's see where he's at.

1,616 backers
$219,688 pledged of a $17,500 goal

Boy oh boy someone who's gonna have a very happy 2013! ;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 am

One of the most significant things I'll remember of 2012 is the amazing success many campaigns have had through crowdfunding.

Larry Elmore's Kickstarter campaign has wrapped up today, the last day of the year.

Talk about going out in style! Look at the results...

2,097 backers pledged $299,914 of a $17,500 goal.

Almost $300,000!

Here are some of his comments ...........

I want to say a few words about this Kickstarter Campaign, it has overwhelmed me, surpassed my wildest dreams and left me very humbled.

When I crunched the numbers, for me to publish a big book on my own dime, I simply couldn't afford it. I had certain publishers approach me to do a big book during the past few years....they would publish it, and of course, make all the money. But I wanted to do it my way. I never had a real agent during my career, I never particularly cared for someone telling me what to do (art directors were enough), so I have done it all my way the best I could.

I was worried about this Kickstarter project, I didn't want to be the first guy to loose money on Kickstarter :-) . I was hesitant on the whole deal. I knew I had fans out there, because I have attend a lot of conventions over the past 25 years, but I didn't really know just how many and I didn't know just how strong and true they were. It really takes your most dedicated "hardcore" fans to pull off a project like this. I didn't know if there were that many---"left". Even though I still paint every day if possible and I will paint and draw until I die.

I basically got out of the publishing world a few years ago and lately I have been painting my own work and selling the originals. I love it. But I know that many fans have missed my work being published on books and game covers. I guess some of you thought I had "retired"!!! Well, I haven't! I never will. I worked as an illustrator for over 40 years, now I am ready to do my own work.

This is how crowdfunding is positively affecting the lives of many artists like Larry Elmore.

Now he can cash in on HIS EQUITY.

Man, I'm so happy and stoked about this! It's great to see artists succeeding at this level!

This has been a special year. Especially over the past few months since August when I realized the extent of what was happening with crowdfunding. And it's only increased since then!

If this is any indication of what the community can look forward to in the future I welcome it with open arms!

A very well deserved congratulations to Larry Elmore!

Thanks also for setting yet another successful and inspiring crowdfunding model!

Happy New Year! :D

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion