animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Perry Chen - The next boy wonder of animation

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Perry Chen - The next boy wonder of animation

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:53 pm

While attending an event recently in Burbank, some screenings hosted by Women In Animation, I met one of the animators.

Perry Chen was in attendance. He's the animator on a short film entitled "Ingrid Pitt: Beyond the Forest" which we also screened at the last AN Night this past Tuesday evening. Directed by Bill Plympton and Kevin Sean Michaels, animated by Perry Chen.

Perry is eleven years old.

A moving film about actress Ingrid Pitt, who as an 8 year old girl miraculously escaped from a Nazi concentration camp along with her mother.

Along with being a talented young artist and animator, he's also a burgeoning film critic and has conducted several interviews of notable personalities in animation.

Here's Perry's website: http://www.perryspreviews.com

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Perry Chen - The next boy wonder of animation

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:36 pm

Check out this video about the making of the Ingrid Pitt short and get a look at Perry. He's a cool kid.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Perry is interviewed, along with Bill Plympton, and does a bit of his own interviewing about "Ingrid Pitt" at Burbank Film Fest in September 2011.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Perry is on the carpet for an interview with Chris Sanders and Dean DuBois of How To Train Your Dragon at Oscar time last year.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 am

Perry Was part of the 2010 Annie Awards. Here he is as a presenter, introduced by William Shatner. The award is for Best Character Design for both TV and Features.

Plus, he's getting plenty of press early on in his young career.

A recent article about Perry in Pacific San Diego Magazine from a few days ago.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Perry Chen is a special kid. I met him a few months ago at an animation event and have since been mentoring him with his drawing and design abilities as well as with his animation.

I'm very happy to report that over the weekend, his film 'Ingrid Pitt: beyond the Forest' won the for Best Animation (age 8-13) at the 17th edition of the International Family Film Fest in Hollywood.

Here's the story from AWN.com...

PerryChen.jpg
PerryChen.jpg (13.62 KiB) Viewed 749 times

Ingrid Pitt: Beyond the Forest Wins IFFF Award
By Jennifer Wolfe
Thursday, March 29, 2012

Ingrid Pitt: Beyond the Forest, animated by 11-year-old filmmaker and award-winning critic Perry Chen, received the award for Best Animation (age 8-13) at the 17th edition of the International Family Film Fest (IFFF).

Perry, now 11, finished the animation as a fifth grader. Oscar-nominee Bill Plympton provided the storyboard, with Kevin Sean Michaels as director, Holocaust historian Dr. Jud Newborn and Perry’s mother Dr. Zhu Shen as co-producers. The film was made possible by the generous support of Toon Boom Animation and Wacom.

Perry S. Chen is an award-winning child film critic, artist, and animator, currently in 6th grade from San Diego. He started reviewing movies at age eight in third grade using a kid-friendly starfish rating system, and has been featured in CBS, NBC, CNN, NPR, Variety, The Guardian, and The China Press, among others. He writes movie reviews for Animation World Network, San Diego Union Tribune, Amazing Kids! Magazine, and his own Perry’s Previews blog. (http://www.perryspreviews.com) He won an “Excellence in Journalism Award” from San Diego Press Club in 2010. Ingrid Pitt: Beyond The Forest is Perry’s first film as sole animator. He also animated one scene in Bill Plympton’s award-winning Guard Dog Global Jam.

Article

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:13 am

Perry Chen was featured on a nationally syndicated show this weekend. Perry's a 12 year old kid who's making a big impact in the world of film critics as he's been writing amazingly sophisticated movie reviews for animated films since he was 10 years old. he's also an emerging filmmaker. You don't see that too much among animation critics do you?

Here's the clip that aired this weekend. Looks like the source may not permit embedding so here's the link just in case...

http://vimeo.com/51042736

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Ellorioh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:12 am

This boy is incredible. In his young age already to design such animation is very remarkable. I'm curious how it will evolve.
Ellorioh

Postby Greg B » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:00 am

Awesome! When I saw the title to this post I first thought of Kickstarter's Perry Chen whom you can see in this vid.

Greg B

Postby Charles » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:24 am

Hey Greg. Yes, the founder of Kickstarter and the kid I'm featuring here are both named Perry Chen. Little Perry's mom tells me there's been communication between them also.

I'm mentoring 12 year old Perry on his next project. Helping him outline the story and with his basic skills. He's an exceptionally talented young man. Excellent writer for his age who's made a name for himself as a film critic in the San Diego area.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion