animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

So what's the state of the animation industry nowadays?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

So what's the state of the animation industry nowadays?

Postby Greg B » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:12 pm

It's been a while since I checked in to see what's been going on with the animation industry.

After all the turmoil of the past 12 years or so I'm wondering if things have settled down to a more prosperous industry. How are the animators doing? Are there still opportunities for people going to school, new projects on the silver screen, the web, television?
Greg B

Re: So what's the state of the animation industry nowadays?

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 am

Hey Greg. Good seeing you here. Hope everything is going well.

From what I can tell things are pretty busy for just about everyone I know. Friends who were having a tough go of it over the past couple of years are working and prospering and seem to be happy. There appears to be stability in an expanding biz.

One troublesome area is the situation with Digital Domain's Florida studio which had to close down and layoff around 300 artists. That's not because of a slowdown in the industry. It's due to a mismanaged situation.

An area of growth is in the number of independent projects that are happening fueled by the crowdfunding phenom. Kickstarter and Indiegogo among other sites are making a big difference in independent activity.

From my vantage point I'm getting a steady stream of new students to my program along with a lot of students that stay once they enroll and finish their foundation class. I'm making plans to expand as well.

Everyone is doing their thing more or less. Not hearing much complaining. Huge amount of excellent content being generated worldwide. My take on the state of the industry broadly speaking is that we're in a good period.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:28 pm

I'd have to agree with you Charles.

Especially with the advancement of the crowdfunding craze. I'd written an ebook about it as I was asked by the owners of GoFundMe.com to help out with their affiliate program. They allow for people to to crowdfund for medical needs like money for operations. We've been sending people who need the latest stem cell treatments to them. Just found out the other day that baseball legend Gail Cogdill is on GoFundMe to raise money for his stem cell treatments. Good news.

I'm not in California anymore. Had to split. Back to doing comics and after seeing what has happened in the animation industry over the past 12 years I'm glad to have had something to do with its betterment thanks to you and AN.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Good luck Greg! Wishing you the best in everything you're doing. To say that I appreciate your involvement with AN over the years is an understatement. You hung in there through thick and thin. Thanks brother. Hope you'll continue to stay involved on the forums and stop by to say hello and share your thoughts and info. Keep us updated on what you're doing.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion