animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Stop motion animation--A New Machine

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Stop motion animation--A New Machine

Postby TonyC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 am

Hi everyone,
This is a stopmotion animation I just finished this past month.

It's a sort of American/Korean diaspora steampunk adventure about a girl whose mother disappears, and the machines she builds to try to get her back.

I am working as an English teacher and trying to crawl my way into the animation world. I don't really know what the next step is for me, but right now I just would like some feedback and to have people get to see my work. I've never taking any animating classes, so specific advice or texts to look at to fix some of my mistakes would be really helpful.

Thanks for your time!
Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TonyC

Re: Stop motion animation--A New Machine

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Tony and welcome to AN!

Here's your video. Take this part of the Vimeo url... 47920074 ... and paste it between the brackets ... [vimeo][/vimeo] ... and you get this...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby TonyC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks, Charles! I'm a little clumsy with some of this stuff--I appreciate the help!
TonyC

Postby Car t00n » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:56 pm

Pretty good, Tony. Some things to keep in mind is to try and make the movements as fluid and un-choppy as possible, even if it means to spend that extra time to add those frames, it'll make it much better in the long run.

The lip sync was also pretty good and so were the sets.

Just a question, what type of camera and program did you use?
Car t00n

Postby TonyC » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:55 pm

I think that's a good plan--I imagine I'll be much happier if I just pour the time in to make sure it's 24 fps for the next movie.

I shot it with a Nikon D5000 (which I'm thinking about upgrading--it's fine, but I feel like I'm ready for something nicer, more consistent, but still not sure where to go with that) and software wise I used Dragonframe--which is worth every penny, and did the drawing on the cheapest Wacom Bamboo tablet available, which worked reasonably well but I'd like a bit more sensitivity and to learn how to use it efficiently for animation.

Thanks for watching and for the comments!
TonyC

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:33 pm

Very good film Tony! Hats off to you, that's a lot of work. You did great and deserve congratulations.

My critique would be along the lines of improving the look of your characters. Try for smoother face skin and more engaging expressions especially for the females. That's key in getting your audience hooked on your characters. The ending is abrupt. Will there be a conclusion? Your 2D animation is also good and helped to add interest.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby TonyC » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:50 pm

Maybe a materials change? I had trouble with the urethane rubber faces but I'm not sure how to get better at it for more expressive faces. Any suggestions? This isn't a stopmotion forum, but maybe you know of something that generally is easier to use than urethane rubber.

The ending, however, was intentional. I may have to reconsider doing a little more "telling" in my storytelling to make things clearer.

Thanks for the advice (and let me know if you have material suggestions that help make nicer faces) and for watching!
TonyC

Return to A.N. Gallery