animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Comic Book Character Atempt

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Comic Book Character Atempt

Postby Jose Saenz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Alrighty, so here's something very different, at least for me (it's not something you'll be seeing in my portfolio). It was my brother's birthday this past week and as part of his b-day gift, I wanted to do a drawing for him. He's a big fan of comic books and so I decided to put my own personal preferences in style aside and do something that I thought he'd just think was cool, so I did a drawing of him as a comic book character. A little bg on my brother: he's a comedian down in Miami. That logo on his shirt is his logo,which I designed for him a few years ago. Other personal touches I added include the iPhone on his waist and the sneakers. This style was a challenge for sure...especially the inking. I definitely have a deeper respect (more than I already did) for comic book artists after having done this piece. I had plenty more ideas on how to push the drawing and the concept further, but I was running out of time and I really wanted to have it done for his birthday.

BTW, you can see a clip of my brother's comedy here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YnCubonj4E

I hope you guys digg it :)...but comments and critiques are always welcomed.
Attachments
Nery_illo_Jose_Saenz.jpg
Jose Saenz

Re: Comic Book Character Atempt

Postby Jose Saenz » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:04 pm

BTW, that would be ATTEMPT not Atempt! I just caught that typo :roll: Hopefully the drawing is better than my spelling.
Jose Saenz

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:48 am

Checked out your brother doing his routine. He's funny and is a natural stand up comedian. I like how he focused on Miami and family for his material. Your design is consistent with the excellent artist that you are. My main suggestion would be to watch the forearm muscles. They're a little too bulbous and overstated, especially the side that's holding the microphone. Your rendering is very well done. You got a great start at doing something that is different for you. Nice work Jose.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Jose Saenz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 am

Thanks Charles. Good tip on the arm. I guess that's the animation designer in me wanting to make things cartoony. It's a tough style for me to mimic. That's for sure. I was glad to be done with it, although it was still fun to explore a different look.

Glad you liked my brother's routine too. He's come a long way. Now THAT is a tough industry. Those guys are at it night after night, really grinding...and the crowds can be brutal. They don't beat around the bush to show they don't like your material. You have to have a thick skin. I think he'll go far. He's a natural entertainer and very comfortable under the spotlight.
Jose Saenz

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:59 am

one word...dope!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Jose Saenz » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:19 am

Thanks Snake!

By the way, I just got some great news. My brother just became the "official" comedian for the Miami Dolphins! He'll be performing at every home game this season. I'm very excited for him. He's definitely earned the success. Like I said, these guys really hustle night after night...and to see my brother go from someone who didn't even know how to hold the mic to opening in front of thousands is really amazing. I'm very proud of him. Big props.
Jose Saenz

Postby Charles » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Your brother the official comedian for the Miami Dolphins! That's huge! It's obvious how talented he is from the video of his performance, but this is big news. Congrats and best wishes for his continued success and rise to fame and fortune. You have a very talented family.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:32 pm

SUPER CONGRATS!!!! thats got to be a lot of fun! and nerve rackin!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Jose Saenz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:09 am

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm very proud of him. And I agree Snake. I don't know that I could ever do that. The funny thing about his career choice is that I was considered the funny one in the family. That don't mean jack on stage though. You have to be a good writer and a good performer. Delivery. That's what it's all about...and being able to repeat a performance night after night and make it all seem spontaneous. It's completely different than just being funny in conversation.
Jose Saenz

Postby EAllen » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Very happy to learn of your brother's recent success, Jose. What is the familiar, oft-repeated refrain in comedy?

"Death is easy, comedy is hard!" This is why I, too, have a deep admiration for guys who are able to get up on stage night after night.

Your design was badass, as well. Lucky brother. What a suitable birthday gift!
EAllen

Postby Jose Saenz » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:07 am

Thanks, man.

...a bit off topic (or not), but I just have to say what a shame about Greg Giraldo. He was such a funny guy on the Roasts...dead at 44...that's crazy. I'm still in shock. He was one of my favorite comedians of today.
Jose Saenz

Return to A.N. Gallery