animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

IBITE_JOURNAL_OPENFORUMCLOSEDUNION

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Re: IBITE_JOURNAL_OPENFORUMCLOSEDUNION

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:29 pm

Animation politics is no fun. In fact it sucks. I don't blame people for not being involved. It's a dead end street. Glen Keane, Brad Bird, the biggest guns in the biz know enough not to get mixed up in it. I'm in the mind of following their example. Stick to the creative side of things. Use your time more productively. :mrgreen:

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Indeed. Cuz really, I'm a pretty productive kinda guy...and even with that there's plenty of people who want to slow you down...or would love to see you gone altogether...So yeah, keep your head down, but keep it movin!!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 am

It's been 13 1/2 years since I launched AN and I've learned a lot in that time. Still learning and perhaps the biggest lesson is that animation politics is no win. Dealing with it is a waste of life. If you really want to make a statement then do it with your work and creativity.

Most everything that avoids the politics of the biz and focuses on creative endeavors has a better chance of thriving. When you get involved not just with these institutions but especially the people behind them you'll wind up going backwards. Few people care and you'll be hated for trying. Look at how the top artists in the industry avoid the politics of the animation business, more accurately the politics of the animation community. Nobody is trashing their names because they decided long ago to sit out the politics. On the contrary, they're honored for their art and what they've accomplished creatively.

Engaging in the politics of the community will eventually harm you. It will take away time and that's something you can never get back. If you want to make a statement in animation then do it with your creativity.

Leave the yelling and the flipoffs and name calling and immature behavior to those who are best suited for it. Go on with life and have fun with your art.

Daily Z

Charles

Previous

Return to General Discussion