animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Facebook Has Already Trademarked ‘Face’

News and events from around the world

Postby skynet » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Oh man, here we go... Is this for real?!?! This is sick as s**t if it is. I was already slow getting and staying into facebook but this just made me decide to not even bother. They've apparently got some serious mental problems. Trademarking the word "face" and "book"....I mean who in their right mind would do something like that? This is so whacked.

Forget it. You can't use the word face or book on the internet. Ahhahahahahahaaa... We've all gone mad. Pretty soon you'll get thrown in prison for saying "hello" or something... curious to see how this turns out.

------------------------------

Facebook Has Already Trademarked ‘Face’ In Europe – Is ‘Book’ Next?

I was aware that Facebook is close to trademarking the term ‘face’, at least in relation to online social networking and related activities, in the United States. But as far as I know, nobody has yet pointed out that Facebook has already pulled that stunt in the EU, i.e. the union of 27 European member states (which include the UK, Germany, France and Spain).

Mark Brooks, an authority in the online dating industry, was kind enough to point me to the filing (screenshot below), which – surprisingly – dates back to May 2004, when Facebook was still in its very early days. As you can tell from the screenshot, the EU-wide trademark (in relation to usage of the word in the operation of online chat rooms, we should point out) was granted in October 2006, with the expiration date set to May 24, 2014.

Again, I’m not entirely sure this hasn’t yet been reported, but I couldn’t find any coverage of it after some sleuthing, so figured I should report it here if only for posterity’s sake.

It gets more interesting, though.

Like in the United States, Facebook is also pursuing a trademark for the term ‘book’ in the European Union, notably in relation to online communities, social networking and Internet dating services. This filing was made more recently, in early November 2010.

The application is still under examination by the OHIM, the trademark and designs registry for the internal market of the European Union. Evidently, we’ll be keeping an eye on it.

Obviously, this move is likely to raise further questions over the company’s motives.

TechCrunch readers will be aware that the social networking giant has already waged wars against sites using the word ‘book’ in their names (see the Lamebook and Teachbook cases). Facebook has also pushed travel site PlaceBook to alter its name to TripTrace.

I’ve asked Facebook for comment and will update when I hear back.
skynet

Re: Facebook Has Already Trademarked ‘Face’

Postby skynet » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:02 pm

You know what this means?

If you create or already have a domain or online company that has "face" or "book" in the name, they can come after you and tell you to change your name or get sued into oblivion.

Looks like they don't have it all yet, like in this country. I just can't believe facebook is already trying to be an evil monopoly. Just shows you how money goes to people's heads and then they want everything.
skynet

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 am

If trademark approval is granted in the US, it'll be interesting to see if Facebook goes after anyone using either "face" or "book" in their business especially if its online.

First use in commerce is normally very strong protection against a trademark infringement and even Facebook would have a difficult time going after someone whoever they may be if they were using those terms prior to the advent of Facebook.

We'll see what happens.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby skynet » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I just hope it's all wrong because it's so laughable.
skynet

Postby emavatson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 pm

but people got crazy for it already ..
emavatson

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 pm

I thought you couldn't trade mark words like that. sounds like the system turning against us.
SNAKEBITE

Return to Current Events