animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Made in China

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Made in China

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:24 pm

What do you get when you construct a 13 story apartment building on a surface with a grade, without a basement or subterranean structure, then decide to a add an underground parking facility next to it, dump the dirt on one side of the building, while heavy rains saturate the ground?

You go from this...

ChinaApartments2.jpg

To this...

ChinaApartments3.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Made in China

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Here's another look at this brilliant feat of engineering. Good thing it was unoccupied.

ChinaApartments1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Let's take a closer look at the construction method used on this apartment building.

ChinaApartments6.jpg

Notice something unusual about the support pylons?

ChinaApartments7.jpg

That's right. They're hollow.

ChinaApartments8.jpg

And this is the part of a support pillar that's still in the ground.

ChinaApartments9.jpg

Check the rebar, the wire that's reinforcing the pylon. I've seen close hangers that have thicker wire than this.

ChinaApartments10.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Look yonder folks. What do you see going off into the distance? A whole lotta apartment buildings that seem to be the same style as this one. Wonder if they were constructed the same way.

ChinaApartments5.jpg

Imagine what would happen in this Chinese city if an earthquake hit, even a relatively minor one.

In the United States, we have something called "construction standards" and "building codes". We've got our problems in this country, but at least we can be fairly secure in knowing that the great majority of our residential and commercial construction is up to code. And even if it isn't, I doubt if you'll find anything as shoddy, poor quality and inferior as this, not to mention the idiocy of building a ditch next to a completed high rise structure that has virtually no foundational support.

It's not that China isn't capable of great engineering, they certainly are, but something is seriously missing in the equation when this kind of construction is permitted.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby sorryguyz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:30 am

I'm not sure what is worse. China making shoddy buildings endangering lives or the USA's excessive capitalist imperialism that has shipped 90% all of american's jobs overseas and has made us primarily an IMPORT only country with very few exports. At least China I'm guessing has Chinese people making stuff in China for...Chinese people (as well as a lot of other countries).

Americans are professional consumers.
sorryguyz

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:32 am

Someone I know lost their job in the economic downturn. He went for a long time without employment and it put tremendous pressure on him and almost cost his marriage. Had to move out of his home and relocate. Finally found a job this Christmas working part time at Walmart of all places. He did so well, they offered him full time employment working night shift and weekends.

He took the offer. It pays $10.50 an hour which is $2 an hour better than working there during the day.

The pay is much less than what he was making before but it's better than nothing and he likes the people he works with. The cost of living is lower where he currently resides so that helps.

What's ironic, is that his previous job involved producing something. Now it centers upon retailing for products made primarily in China.

But he can rest assured, that the building he's working in will likely not tip over or cave in upon him as easily thanks to the high construction standards and codes that are part of the way we do things in the good ol USA.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm

I have a great idea as to how we can compete globally through animation.

Let's take the computers and digital media devices that are being made in China, and produce content!

It's downright subversive.

We can get together in groups, even small ones, even do it individually if we have to. We work together. We collaborate. We can use software that's developed in the US, North America, what have you, and produce animated content that we can share with the world. It might get us work at a studio. It might bring us in work like a studio. We could develop video games, or educational games, or animation that will help improve people's lives, or just make them laugh or think or cry, or enhance one's life experience. We might even be able to sell it or develop a website that gets so much traffic we'll be able to sell advertising.

The possibilities are limitless.

We don't need to export our creative productivity. We can still make things here. No matter where you are, in animation, especially if you're an artist, you can always make something.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby sorryguyz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm not condoning the poor construction of Chinese buildings. Every country has its problems. I suppose the same weak structure used to construct that building is the same type of structure corporate rich hotshots have used to set up a precarious economic paradigm in the U.S. that only benefits them. We are now dependent on everything from overseas... And i think it's temporary.

Time is running out and now is the time more than ever to focus on producing and being creative before these resources that we import from foreign countries are cut off from us. Then maybe we'll have to go back to drawing on paper mad from local paper mills. GASP, maybe washing cels like a teenage chuck jones. Either way art will continue whether it's in a hyper technological age or an economic collapse, a war, etc. There is always a need to be creative, entertain, inspire, provoke and the list goes on. :mrgreen:
sorryguyz

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 am

Rolling with small businesses from my parents on I have to say, especially now, I have seen communities use art to bring back areas.

Right now:
"Culver City Art Walk: usually held in late spring, from 12:00pm to 6pm
Brewery Art Walk: regularly takes place in the spring and fall from 11:00am to 6:00pm
Pasadena Art Walk: last year’s event was held in the fall from 11:00am to 5:00pm
Silver Lake Open Studio: Last year’s event spanned three weeks starting in November with various special events scheduled for the weekends."

I'm starting to promote LAST SATURDAYS for our Gallery. Where the last saturday of each month there will always be some sort of art event, showing or party to connect artists and appreciators. The city is even calling the area SORO, for south RoBertson Blvd...making it sound more artsy.lol

The point is, art connect people...and business is people connecting.

Create!!!
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion