animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Trying to get back to work after time off

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Trying to get back to work after time off

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 am

I took a lot of time off this holiday. Most I took off in a long long time. a whole 10 days of doing nothing but enjoying time off and seeing my family and old friends...Lots of celebration. I think we all need to celebrate more. We all know the poopoo heads are manipulating us. We know, we get it...and that there is ALWAYS work to be done..and you're always behind and putting in way more hours then your getting back...SO whats the difference? take time off, enjoy life... and my lady took time off for the holiday for the first time since I could remember...so fuk it! We just spent this holiday spending time with people we care about and ate good food, drank good drink and smoked good smoke...and didn't think about anything but the blessings in this crazy messed up reality...because there are blessings we all have. I know its hard to see it through the crap, but they are there.

So I'm back home now and find it hard getting back into the hustle...The Gallery work is awesome! No problem. I like doing that. but I still need to work in addition to the work...gasp...but I'm just not motivated to give two shits about someone elses work...of course money always helps, but now I feel like people want to pay even less for their crap and make you work harder for that less...

Now I don't want to come off like I think work is bad. Work is good. I just can't get my head around this so called "work" they're selling us, because it feels more like "being worked" then actually working...if that makes sense. It's that, it's not constructive, doesn't really help anyone and all it does is end at some point...and then I have find more of that empty ass crap. Most people don't even know what that implies, Art for a living...and I mean, to make money. Not as a hobby.

And I'm still not even sure what position I want in the art world...I did so many different things in almost 20 years and I'm still finding my voice and not sure that I will in the world of freelance work.

I know, cry me a bayou, right? I do what I love, right? Well, right now, with my gallery, I really can't say no...but the freelance world, that aint love baby. No sir, thats a slob job. You might get one that pays real good for awhile..but even then..do the due diligence. Ask around. How many artists retire off the system..I found, very little..but certainly would be open to being wrong. It would give me courage to continue...but either way, I must have courage to continue. I have no choice..

My gallery takes my whole attention. It fills all my needs. Gives me very modest coin to live. Potential for more coin as it grows.I can work with people I want to work with...Make opportunities with those people. It demands more art from myself, so I have to draw more...I can go on, it really fills the spectrum. We want to expand to other avenues as well. The potential is screaming!!

But as I build, its business as usual. I have to do other work to compensate.

During this holiday time off I'm torn with how I spend my time when I came back to the hustle. Freelance work means time away from building something that has more potential and is fragile as a new art business... in a more fuked up economy...triple wammy...So if I go paint animation backgrounds or color a comic, or do illustrations, or design, or whatever, it takes away time from my true mission...but then, I have no choice. I have to make the flow. At any cost. Sacrifice time for money to pay for my time...lol I know cats that said that goin' into a job and 20 years later they didn't do what they wanted.

I probably said too much. I never edit my sht, for the most part. If I'm motivated I just start typing...time and all. No time to edit this.hahahaha

I know most of you know what I'm talking about. Gone through the same struggle. It's not unique. But in this new frontier you have to be so much to survive. You can't just be one thing, you always have to be thinking ten steps in advance. Can't slack on planning...But that comes from making every mistake I could along the way..and I'm sure my dumb ass aint done learning.

With 2011 I feel we're all evolving faster then we ever have. I feel my inner struggle is not monopolized by my perspective. I believe in different ways we're all seeing how the old way of looking at life is changing. In our DNA...but before I sound all esoteric and sht, I'd like to say that there is a different way...and thats true because it rhymes...

ok, I fuked off enough, back to work..hey you, back to work! I don't even know what I was trying to say anyway, stop wasting time! Or share your truth in the written word or a rhyme...and thats true because it rhymes.
Attachments
PETRA_BOOKSIGNING_12_2010_73_SNAKEBITE.jpg
SNAKEBITE

Re: Trying to get back to work after time off

Postby sorryguyz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:08 am

it's hard to compete with tweets from celebrities and 20 second videos of monkeys peeing on themselves, but in the end the quality will rise to the top, if they haven't made people so stupid and dumb already through the ADD NWO plan of distract and conquer.
sorryguyz

Postby paburrows » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 am

I second you Bite on the need to take time off everyonce in awile just to smell the roses so to speak. Last November was my wife and my 10th Aniversary so we spent 5 days in Hawaii and man it was just great to have been able to get away, reconnect and unwind. So often we do the day to day all the time and you can get in such a rut, but getting away from it all did a lot to help us to recharge.
paburrows

Postby Charles » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:41 pm

These are challenging times for many people, and the best thing to do in many instances is take a break and enjoy family and friends. Makes a big difference.

Whenever you're in business for yourself, it's more often than not the business owning you as much or more as you owning the business.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do and that's it.

You've got a beautiful gallery happening and you're building a community around it. The key, literally, is to keep creating and attracting talent, content and clients. A lot of business owners have to moonlight to make it work and vice versa. There's many people who have day jobs and operate their own business on the side to make ends meet.

Stick with it, have a positive attitude and create and innovate. Even if you have to freelance. You'll continue to draw people to what you're doing.

You're starting 2011 with a Beverly Hills art gallery. Awesome. Have fun and share the joy.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:57 am

No doubt. I AM!!!! It's a blessing. I wake up happy every day...cuz you know what I've been through up to this point to be at this point. Freelance is cool. I'm use to it. 13 years freelance in my 18 years experience...it can get old. But not complaining just sharing my thoughts. It's nice to share and get feed back from people who've been there. I appreciate all the advice.

I have a lot of the first part of the year planned. It's incredible what I get to do right now. Who knows how long it will last but I plan on it lasting a long ass time.

Again, if it came off like a complaint, was not my intent...the curse of not editing myself. lol

It's crazy when other people point out I have a Gallery in Beverly Hills...HA! who would of thunk?
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion