animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

"Gnomeo and Juliet" on the way - Feb 11 '11

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

"Gnomeo and Juliet" on the way - Feb 11 '11

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:08 am

Jim Hill reports on his site that the animated feature "Gnomeo and Juliet" will be released February 11, 2011 through Disney's Touchstone Pictures.

Here's the trailer.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: "Gnomeo and Juliet" on the way - Feb 11 '11

Postby paburrows » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:46 am

Yeah I saw posters for it in the theaters a few weeks ago when I went to see Tron Legacy.
paburrows

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:33 pm

GnomeoAndJuliet.jpg
GnomeoAndJuliet.jpg (47.97 KiB) Viewed 237 times

"Gnomeo and Juliet" opens this weekend. The first major animated feature film release of 2011.

Produced by Starz Animation and released by Disney, directed by Kelly Asbury, of the Shrek franchise and Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, songs by Elton John, voices include an all start cast including Ozzy Osbourne, Michael Caine, Jason Maggie Smith and many others.

Good luck to the film. I hope you guys make a huge amount of money and show up the negative animation critics in this biz with your success.

Thanks to Animation Magazine for the image.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:52 pm

This trailer for Gnomeo and Juliet was uploaded today on YouTube, specifically produced as a one day commercial for the movie.

This is interesting. A one day trailer for YouTube to promote the movie opening tomorrow.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Phil » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 am

For all the hype and attention this film appears to be getting the trailers haven't really sold this one. I don't particularly like the finished look, whilst the big names attached to the film do nothing for me either. I'll sit this one out, there are better films out on the horizon. Even Pooh is a welcome appearance all things considered.

Any thoughts?
Phil

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:51 am

What the animation community thinks about a movie and how an audience responds is two different things. That I've learned over many years, and I've seen it happen over and over again. Something that people in the biz pan, turns out to be a big success.

Case in point, "Gnomeo and Juliet" which looks to be the latest in-your-face statement.

It came in at #3 this weekend, pulling in an estimated $25,500,000 and was only $5,500,000 less than the number one movie.

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/ ... =06&p=.htm

It was also the highest grossing animated feature in weekend release for the month of February in history.

Not bad for a film that the usual animation critics trashed.

Kids liked it, it was promoted, and it was generally well received by film critics. Except of course, those in our own house.

Bravo to the crew of the film and all involved. Congrats and good luck, wishing you continued success.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 pm

This from Animation Magazine.

Gnomeo and Juliet biggest opening ever for an independent animated feature.

Boy, what is the world coming to. The online critics couldn't say enough bad things about this movie, from the character design to anything else they could think of, and it winds up being the biggest weekend opening for an independent animated feature in history.

GnomeoAndJuliet1a.jpg

'Gnomeo' Posts Strong Start in Competitive Weekend

It was a crowded and uplifting weekend at the box office, which heralded a solid opening for the star-crossed lovers of Gnomeo & Juliet, even though the animated feature didn’t top the field.

The Adam Sandler-Jennifer Aniston comedy Just Go With It squeeked into the top spot with a $31 million opening weekend. Just a hair behind it was the concert documentary Justin Beiber: Never Say Never.

Gnomeo & Juliet landed in third place with a $25.5 million opening, handily beating out the weekend’s fourth newcomer, the action film The Eagle, which earned only $8.6 million.

Box Office Mojo reports that Gnomeo’s opening is the largest for an animated feature in January or February, beating out the $16.8 million earned by Coraline on its opening in 2009. It’s also the biggest ever opening for an independent animated feature.

Read article here.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:15 am

Sorry to continue to disappoint the haters of this film, but Gnomeo and Juliet continues to do well.

From Animation Magazine...

'Gnomeo' holds up with Third Place, $19M Weekend
February 22, 2011 by Thomas J. McLean

Gnomeo & Juliet held up well its second weekend at the box office, landing in third place with an estimated $19.2 million in ticket sales.

The CG-animated film just barely missed out on second place, which went to the sci-fi action film I Am Number 4 with $19.4 million. Leading the week was the thriller film Unknown with $21 million.

Gnomeo has so far grossed $55.8 million in domestic ticket sales and about $12 million overseas. The film is performing very well for an independent animated feature, especially with overall box office for the four-day President’s Day weekend was down about 28 percent over last year.

Link to article.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion