animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Celebrating Woody Woodpecker

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Celebrating Woody Woodpecker

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Growing up in th Chicagoland area at the time that I did was special. One of the things that made it that way was TV.

At 6 PM every evening, WGN would broadcast cartoons. On Mondays and Wednesdays it was the Huckleberry Hound Show. Tuesdays it was Yogi Bear. Fridays it was Rocky and Bullwinkle, and on Thursday evenings it was the Woody Woodpecker Show hosted by Walter Lantz.

Don't hear much about Woody Woodpecker anymore, so I thought I'd start 2011 off with a retrospect of this great cartoon character.

Here he is in his very first appearance. It's an Andy Panda cartoon from 1940 called "Knock Knock".

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Celebrating Woody Woodpecker

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:55 pm

After Andy Panda's "Knock Knock" Walter Lantz realized he had a winner in this new character. The following year in 1941, Woody Woodpecker starred in his own cartoons.

This is the second cartoon under his own name. It's called "The Screwdriver" and is one of the few early Woody Woodpecker directed by Lantz. Also, I think Mel Blanc is doing the voices of the characters at this point.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:37 pm

This is the first cartoon where Woody Woodpecker appeared under his own marque in 1941.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 am

In "Hollywood Matador" from 1942, the original Woody is still very evident.

The next cartoon produced that year, "Ace in the Hole" saw a change in the character.

This is from 1943, a Woody Woodpecker cartoon entitled "The Screwball". You can see how Woody is evolving, both in character and in design with some modifications to his beak and a cuter more appealing look in general as well as a difference in his voice.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:36 am

By 1944 and "The Barber of Seville", Woody had become for the most part the character we would know for many more years to come.

Gone was the garish color scheme. His underbelly red was replaced by white, and his yellow legs became blue down to his feet.

He was a much more appealing character all around while still maintaining his trademark zaniness.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:21 am

I looked around for anything on Woody Wooodpecker in 3D that wasn't done by someone privately on their own. There doesn't seem to be any CG production on this character from any studio, even from Universal.

This is about all I could find.

From what I learned through some experience with Universal Studios through their licensing department with Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, they didn't seem to be as aggressive with their properties as other studios. It's odd that all these years into CG animation and there's nothing with Woody Woodpecker in 3D.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Here's some CG animation of Woody Woodpecker.

Found a CG rotation of a modeled Woody in primal design.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion