animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Megamind - a great movie

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Megamind - a great movie

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 am

Megamind2.jpg
Megamind2.jpg (19.93 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Kudos to everyone involved with "Megamind".

I finally got a chance to see it the other night and I was thouroughly entertained. Found myself laughing out loud several times during the film.

The writing was terrific.

Although every once in a while I'd get a little lost in the story, things would tie together later on.

The production quality was outstanding, as was the design of the film.

The acting was superb, especially for the lead character of Megamind himself.

So many genuinely excellent animated films are being released, we have to be in a golden age of some kind. I think 2010 will be remembered as a banner year for the quality of animated features.

Congratulations DreamWorks. You're really hitting stride with the movies you've been producing lately.

Thanks for the Megamind experience.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Megamind - a great movie

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:43 pm

For me, I see Megamind as a good example of how a trailer falls short of communicating the actual quality of a movie. I see that periodically in animation. Even though the Megamind trailer is good, it didn't deliver on just how entertaining the film would be with its twists and turns on the plot. I didn't get a feeling that the story would be different, which it was.

Maybe that's why it fell short of expectations at the box office.

Whatever the reason, maybe this post will help in spreading positive word of mouth for the DVD.

This is a good movie and if you haven't seen it yet, I'm sure you'll be surprised at how entertaining it is once you do see it.

For the sake of reliving the experience, here's a Megamind trailer to enjoy in the meantime.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Megamind - a great movie

Postby paburrows » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:33 am

I also saw Megamind a few nights ago for the first time and felt that its was a well crafted story that hit all of the right emotional notes. I was less impressed with the designs, but then I hate the look of most of Dreamworks ugly humans. But thats just a personal opinion, just like I dislike the look of the designs of Transformers Prime. But everyone has different tastes so to each their own.

I really enjoyed how they turned the whole suprhero theme on its side and showed what might happen if the villian manages to kill the hero and what he would do after that. The biggest thing that hit home for me though was the main idea that Destiny is created rather then controling us. (Which I feel is what Animation Nation is all about.) I know that some critics claim that Megamind is just a copy of Dispicable Me (another great movie this year) but I felt that it really broke that mold and became its own great little movie.
paburrows

Return to General Discussion