animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

ChristmasTime is here!

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

ChristmasTime is here!

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:36 am

And that means videos!

With Christmas Day falling on Saturday, what better way to get the Christmas week rolling than with the happiness and good cheer of animation.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: ChristmasTime is here!

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:00 am

For the Disney addicts out there, here's a gem I discovered on YouTube.

In 1982 there weren't any VCR or ways of recording and playing home video. There was only television, and if you wanted to see soething Disney, you had to wait until it was broadcats.

That's what made this Christmas special, special.

It's from 1982 and is called "A Disney Christmas Gift". It was produced for TV by compiling Disney vintage animation. Starring Mickey and Pluto, Chip and Dale, Donald Duck, Bambi, Peter Pan and much more, it's in five parts and guaranteed to make you feel good and put a smile on your face.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:27 am

Growing up in the Chicagoland area and within the broadcast range of good ol WGN Channel 9, Christmastime was made all the more special by the airing of these three animated classics.

I post links to them on AN at just about every Christmas Season, and thanks to the new format, this year I can embed the video directly on the forums for all to enjoy.

We knew it was Christmastime when on a daily afternoon kids show called "Garfield Goose", they aired "Frosty the Snowman". Produced by UPA Studios in 1953, the same animation studio that would give us Mister McGoo...

Then there was "Suzy Snowflake" produced in 1951 and first airing in 1953...

And everyone's favorite, George Pal's "Hardrock, Coco, and Joe", first aired in 1956...

These Christmastime classics bring back many great memories, and it's especially joyful for me to be able to share them with people all over the world through the broadcast technology of the Internet.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:55 pm

I remember this from a couple of years ago. It's a whimsically animated rendition of the Drifters "White Christmas" and it's had 1,155,705 YouTube views in a little more than 2 years.

What would Christmas be like without this great cartoon from 1939 and MGM Studios. Here's "Peace On Earth"...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Check this out folks. Uploaded less than a week ago. It's an animated promo for Christmas Seals from 1925. According to the video, the animation is attributed to Dick Huemer of Fleischer Studios fame.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:42 pm

This cartoon is from 1947 and was produced at Famous Studios. It's called "Santa's Surprise" and is special in the way that children from the global community are portrayed. In the story, they attempt to do something nice for Santa in return after he delivers presents by cleaning up his house on Christmas Day while he rests.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:02 am

In 1939, a Chicago department store employee by the name of Robert May came up with a new character as part of a promotion for Christmas.

The store printed up books based upon the story he created and by 1946, six million of them had been given away. By 1948, this character came to animated life in his first cartoon.

Directed by Max Fleischer, here's the original appearance of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:55 pm

While researching for animated Coca Cola commercials for this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=843

... I happened to discover a Coke commercial that was produced in the 70s, and which I think is fitting for this topic of.

This one too from 1978.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:40 pm

A goody from the 70s, a Norelco commercial with Santa sledding across the countryside on an electric razor.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:19 am

What's it all about Charlie Brown?

After Santa Claus and Happy Holidays, Linus explains what Christmas all comes down to.

We started with "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and we finish up with "A Charlie Brown Christmas".

Hope you've enjoyed these videos for the 2010 Christmas Season here on the AN Forums, friends.

Thank you for following AnimationNation.

Have a great Christmas Day.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby skynet » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:11 pm

I think one of the things I remember the most about Christmas from childhood memories was watching the Charlie Brown Christmas. I'd watch it every year. It definitely has some high quality music that always put it in a league of its own. Vince Guaraldi added so much to all the Charlie Brown stuff he scored, it wouldn't be the same without him.
skynet

Return to General Discussion