animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

hmmm

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

hmmm

Postby sorryguyz » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:15 pm

if you were an artist at a major studio and they asked you to "help" come up with/design/develop ideas for possible toy lines...for free and without credit, and you didn't see any of the profits of those toys when they were released and you were just going to be laid off at the end of the season or 2 seasons down, would you do it? Me neither.

They try to get away with a lot. But at the end of the day the goal is to see the executive, the slave-monger and the exploiter on the street picking at crumbs when their paradigm falls while you are self sufficient and capable. The first step is not being a complacent meek artist and just using the system to your benefit with minimal repercussions.

Or you can end up like the almost-60 year old still looking for work on another throw-away show or property because you thought you could leave your career in THEIR hands. Tsk tsk tsk.
sorryguyz

Re: hmmm

Postby Charles » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:14 pm

Indeed!

Some people can make the throw away show and/or the studio scene work for them in the long run well into their career, but sooner or later for many, and from what I see the trend is towards sooner, the system will ween you out.

That's why I make it a big part of what I teach my students, to establish early on an independent aspect to your career. It's not just the studio, it's what you do on the outside as well. Building a community, a fan base, and staying on top of new technology that will help keep you tied in to modern animation production. Also staying involved and connected with your network will help over time.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion