animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Megamind - Nov 2010

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Megamind - Nov 2010

Postby skynet » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 pm

Anyone planning on seeing this?

skynet

Megamind - Nov 2010 - Theatrical trailer

Postby hcjehg » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:16 am

Theatrical trailer is out:
hcjehg

Re: Megamind - Nov 2010

Postby Glen Moyes » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:31 am

If the reviews are decent I'll go see it. DreamWorks movies have been getting better so they are definitely on my radar (although so far it's been an every-other-one is better cycle ever since Kung Fu Panda, so who knows).

The concept behind Megamind does seem fun though, and the trailer did make me chuckle, which is always a good sign.
Glen Moyes

Postby EAllen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:10 pm

On HSX, I own shares of this film, so I have to see this! :D

On the other hand, I am a little leery . . .
EAllen

Postby MrFun » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:55 pm

DreamWorks seems to be keeping a lot of people employed. That alone puts me in their corner.

Best of luck, Jeffrey.
MrFun

Postby JJerome25 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:25 pm

i plan to see it. The jokes so far have made me laugh, and i like the story so far.
My animations and shorts

http://jeromeanimations.com/
JJerome25

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:02 am

Following up on Mr. Fun's comments, I'm on the DreamWorks campus about once a month and I do indeed sense a difference. Folks working there seem happier. There's a positive energy, people are smiling, they walk with extra liveliness. Maybe they're just glad to be employed, but I've been to other studios where the vibe isn't quite the same. I attribute the positivity to something that's happening internally.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:38 pm

It can't be anything but great for the artists, to work in that atmosphere.

I'll suffer through any amount of subpar films from a studio if the artists are artistically energized by producing the studio's output. A tremendous thing indeed.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:40 pm

I was at DreamWorks today and it was great. I really enjoy the experience of being at the studio. I learned something also that I didn't realize before. Seems there's a lot of Disney artists that are trying to jump ship and work at Jeffrey's house. Must be a more appealing environment comparatively speaking. They're either doing something right, or Disney's doing something wrong. Maybe it's a little of both. Whatever it may be, looks like DreamWorks is a leader in employment desirability.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I know that for one thing, if How to Train Your Dragon and even MegaMind is any indication, there seems to be much more creative freedom at DreamWorks.

Which can directly correlate to a creatively energized and desirable workplace environment.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:11 pm

Look at what they're doing at DreamWorks and what Disney's got going on. They had Paul Felix, their top production designer fresh off of Bolt, working on... hold on to your hats... Winnie the Pooh.

Wow! How can I get in on that!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SteveK » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:21 pm

To your point Charles -

Steve has been commenting on the latest at Disney and how with Tangled coming to a close, artists are being let go in droves.

Read his latest comments about his last walk-through at this link http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/down-on-riverside-drive.html.

What's more interesting is how artists at Disney have made the same observations you did today. Things at DreamWorks are humming along and people are busy. Things at Disney slowed down as far as volume of work. The flow of artists is definitely moving to Campus de Katzenberg.
SteveK

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:26 pm

That's nice to know Steve and thanks for update. I'm especially impressed with the report from Hulett. Great to see the business rep on top of his game.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion