animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Celebrating Terry Gilliam - Monty Python animation

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Celebrating Terry Gilliam - Monty Python animation

Postby Charles » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:33 pm

I learned that on November 22, Terry Gilliam, the animator of Monty Python's Flying Circus fame, turned 70 years old.

A brilliant genius, his cartoons had me busting a gi=ut when I first saw them at the time that the show starting getting aired in the US, and I never lost appreciation of them.

If you're not familiar with Terry Gilliam's work, take a look at the opening of Monty Python show.

Very happy birthday wishes to Terry Gilliam.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Celebrating Terry Gilliam - Monty Python animation

Postby Charles » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:02 am

Something else from Gilliam at his best during the Monty Python years.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Celebrating Terry Gilliam - Monty Python animation

Postby Charles » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 am

Terry Gilliam was born in the US and took British citizenship in 1968.

The live action films he's directed are nothing less than some of the most remarkable motion pictures ever produced. His movies include Time Bandits (1981), Brazil (1985), The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988), The Fisher King (1991), 12 Monkeys (1995), Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) and The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009).

His offbeat animation style is unique and virtually inimitable. There's only one Terry Gilliam. Here's a short film he produced outside of the Monty Python scene. It's called "The Miracle of Flight" and it is classic Gilliam.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion