animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Life after the studios

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Life after the studios

Postby Charles » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 pm

A good friend of mine, great talent and a veteran of animation, has recently left the LA area because he can't find work in his area of specialization. If fact, the only studio work he's received this year has been on a TV series whereby the art that the in house crew was generating had to be fixed. So instead of hiring this fellow who was very qualified for the job, they freelanced corrections to him.

This, along with some issues that his wife was having at her (non-animation) workplace, mostly from the abuse she was getting from the meanness of the people there, decided to relocate to a different part of the country. A place that has clean air, green grass, gets plenty of water, and where the people are for the most part friendlier and aren't as competitive as they tend to be in LA.

I heard from them since they've moved and they're both quite content with the decision they made to leave for alternative pastures. They're both in much better moods and although they're still looking to get better settled in, The experience they both have from their years in LA will work well for them in their new environment.

No matter who you are, and with very few exceptions, sooner or later your options in animation will start to dwindle. As the industry employment trends change, more artists will find themselves looking for something else to do at an earlier stage in their lives than ever before.

Life goes on, and just because your time in the studio scene is up, it doesn't mean that your career is over. There's lots of opportunity to create your own destiny if you plan on it early on. Anticipate a future where the likelihood of your studio employment will wind down, and you'll be better suited to take your career to the next level when the time comes.

Use your studio experience to your advantage and you'll find just as much happiness in your new environment as if you'd be sitting in a cubicle taking orders from people who would benefit from studying under you.

Stay positive and focused on what's really important in life and your art will flourish no matter who you're working for or what you're doing.

You don't have to be perpetually in a studio to keep creating. There's new adventures out there waiting to be experienced. Embrace the change and you'll find happiness in the new things that come your way.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Life after the studios

Postby jeffnevins » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks for posting this. This is probably the most meaningful post I've seen on the new forums, and one of the best overall.

I tried for three years to get into L.A. studios after the 9/11 layoffs/ the economy backlash & outsourcing hit the industry. I'm thankful for the few years I had in Bay Area studios.

It has been rough sometimes in the past 8 years, but I really appreciate this-

"Stay positive and focused on what's really important in life and your art will flourish no matter who you're working for or what you're doing."

Thank you.
jeffnevins

Re: Life after the studios

Postby EAllen » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:44 pm

We may be thinking of the same artist, Charles.

I believe many people need to get behind artists of great talent, who happen to be struggling, and it's a real tragedy that this environment wasn't more accommodating to this artist. This area's loss, to be sure.

That's one of my goals, with what I'm working on, and I will continue to bust my ass in realizing this important initiative at tremendous expense. It will be worth it, certainly if the end result is that we keep more talented veteran artists in the area working.

The environment will change, ultimately. This I believe.
EAllen

Return to General Discussion