animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

The Hub Animation Studio

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

The Hub Animation Studio

Postby paburrows » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 pm

So over at Cartoon Brew Amid is bashing the Hub as being the death of the creator driven animation era. But just because most of the Hub programing is toy driven I don't really see it that way, just watching the show previews and designs it looks like a lot of artistic love has been put into those shows in order to make them new and different. What do you all think?

I don't really want this to become an Amid or Cartoon Brew discussion, but thought that it could become a good discussion in itself.
paburrows

Re: The Hub Animation Studio

Postby paburrows » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm

I figure that The Hub is one more studio that puts artists to work.
paburrows

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:23 pm

Could you give a review on the Hub? What it is, what its about? etc

thanks!
SNAKEBITE

Postby JDC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 am

The Hub is a new network airing "family" content. The Discovery Channel and Hasbro joined together to create this new channel which used to be Discovery kids.

So far most of the live action content The Hub airs are re-runs like Happy Days, Family Ties, and the Adam West Batman. As for animation they have a lot of new content mixed with classic G.I.Joe, Transformers, even The Batman which came out in 04.

I wouldn't pay much attention to Amid Amidi.. He seems to like stirring up the pot if you will. I think of him as a radio talk show host of animation.
JDC

Postby paburrows » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:55 am

Unfortunatly I don't get The Hub, but as of now The Hub as JDC shows reruns of 80's Hasbro properties Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony and they have new versions of those shows. Amid is arguing that doing revamps of poplar Toy based shows is uncreative because they are being controled by the toy companies whims. I disagree though. This is their website to give you an idea of designs etc. http://www.hubworld.com/
paburrows

Postby JDC » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:23 pm

I also wanted to mention that The Hub is airing a preschool show I worked on called Maryoku Yummy. I worked on the show a couple of years ago.. never knew what happened to it.. but get this.. Amid complains about creator driven shows. Maryoku Yummy was created by an artist at American Greetings and AG had so much faith in the project they ordered 52 eleven minute episodes.. (26 half-hours) without having a network to air the episodes at the time. That takes some big balls if you ask me.

You have to get your content out there.. the Hub is just another outlet for that. I think Creators understand that. Keep Creating.
JDC

Postby Charles » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:53 pm

I've been seeing billboard ads for the Hub around town for several weeks.

According to Wikipedia, "The Hub is an American digital cable and satellite television network that launched on October 10, 2010.[1] The channel, which replaced Discovery Kids, is a joint venture of Discovery Communications, Inc. and Hasbro. The Hub airs programming primarily aimed at children ages 6-12, drawing largely on the libraries of both parent companies.

The Hub targets a dual audience, young children in the daytime with original and acquired children's programs, and families at night with reruns of older television sitcoms, dramas and feature films. Veteran television executive Margaret Loesch serves as president and chief executive officer of The Hub. The channel is available to approximately 60 million subscribers."

Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hub_(TV_network)

Anytime there's a new network that features animation it's a positive. Without having read what Amid wrote, I also think that if positive pressure could be put on the network to feature as much original programming as possible, it would be in everyone's best interests. My experiences with both sides of Cartoonbrew have been surreal to say the least, and I don't know what kind of good it will do to be as continuously negative as they've been. I don't know if Amid's comments will make a difference to anyone, but if they do and it helps persuade the Hub to feature more original programming, I support that position.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:36 pm

I drove down Hollywood Way in Burbank yesterday and noticed at the complex where Film Roman / Starz Media and Hasbro is located, there's a sign for the Hub. So they're in town.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

I'm all for the production of original programming for television, as I'm certain most of us in the community are, but earlier in the day I happened to catch the afternoon block on Cartoon Network, and it was all classic Tom and Jerry cartoons. Where's the outrage?

Daily Z

Charles

Interaction with Showboat Entertainment

Postby showboat 1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:55 am

I work in a designing & animation studio namely Showboat Entertainment. I just want to have a review regarding Hub Animation Studio to know what type of works are done here.

Showboat Entertainment
showboat 1

Postby Charles » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:46 pm

The Hub is a new cable TV channel that was launched last October in the US. It's set up to broadcast pre-existing shows, which is what CartoonBrew was complaining about in the original post that started this topic, but that's nothing new cuz they pretty much complain about everything.

The Hub is a joint venture between the Discovery Channel and the Hasbro Corporation. It's Hasbro that has an animation studio set up in Burbank in the same building where the Hub is located.

Several of my former students are working there, both from The Animation Academy and California State University Northridge, and from what I understand, they're working on developing new shows and original programming.

As more info comes my way I'll relate it here on the forums if I can, or if others have info that's not proprietary feel free to share it by posting or sending it on to us.

As far as a review of the Hub is concerned, I think anything new that's animation centric is a good thing of course, unless you're an elitist self proclaimed animation critic who's impossible to appease. Even if the shows are basically reruns, there's plenty of people who have fond memories of these programs and enjoy watching them with their children and families.

I'm sure we'll eventually see some original programming. If it isn't airing by now it will be in the near future.

All in all, it's a positive. Don't buy into what these critics tell you, more often then not they don't know what they're talking about. They can't distinguish between their own opinions and fact. They purposely sensationalize things in a negative way to create a controversy where there is none. The Hub is a good thing for animation and a new studio is operating in Burbank in the form of Hasbro.

Welcome to AN, Showboat 1 and thanks for bringing this topic up for renewed attention.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:06 pm

Yet another reason to question those that are sounding the demise of creative driven programming because of the Hub.

This is from Animation Magazine...

Hasbro Splits Creative Units To Handle Increased Production

March 3, 2011 by Thomas J. McLean

Hasbro Studios has split its creative units into development and current program groups as it increases its output of new programs.

The move sees several shifts in executive responsibility. Mike Vogel move from the post of executive director, boys and action programming, to vice president, development. Vogel will be charged with re-imagining all boys, action, girls and preschool creative efforts by the studio.

Linda Steiner, who had served as senior VP, girls and preschool programming, has taken on a new role as senior VP, current programming, managing a growing number of successful studio-produced series once they are on the air.

And Kathy Page, VP of production, will lead an expanded team in support of the restructured departments with production and post-production services, while continuing to assist in oversight of outside production service relationships.

“With the rapid growth of Hasbro Studios and the increasing number of shows we have on The Hub, as well as airing in international markets, I am making these changes to both streamline the creative process and make our organization operate more efficiently,” said Hasbro Studios president Stephen Davis.

Article

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion