animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Content quality over production quality

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Content quality over production quality

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:08 pm

I've always held to the belief that audiences will forgive shortcomings in production quality if the quality of the content is there. Contrary to the opposite, whereby production quality alone cannot carry content when the narrative is weak.

A recent study has proven this correct.

University Study Indicates Desirable Video Content Trumps Video Production Quality
By
Reel Seo
Jeremy Scott
August 16, 2010

When you produce a piece of online video content, you probably pay a lot of attention to the quality of the sound and picture. You want the best possible presentation of your work. But sometimes, if you're like me, you can get ahead of yourself, and fret over the quality details to the point of neglecting your actual video content.
New research out of The Department of Psychology at Rice University finds that people who are enjoying what they're watching are less likely to notice the difference in quality of the video. The study titled, "The Effect of Content Desirability on Subjective Video Quality Ratings" focused on television, Internet video, and mobile video, and was authored by professor-in-the-practice at Rice, Philip Kortum.

Click here to learn more:

http://scienceblog.com/37469/video-qual ... -watching/

http://www.reelseo.com/content-vs-quality/

Thanks to The Entertainment Economy Institute for the lead on this story.

http://www.entertainmentecon.org

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Content quality over production quality

Postby paburrows » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:57 am

Yeah I agree, I really can't see a lot of difference between DVD 7 Blu-Ray or regular and 3D (Glasses) movies. But it sticks out like a sore thumb when the story sucks.
paburrows

Postby JDC » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:47 pm

I'll take The Last Starfighter over any Michael Bay movie ever.
JDC

Postby EAllen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Hell, I'd take Young Sherlock Holmes over any of Mikey Bay's stuff . . .
EAllen

Return to General Discussion