animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Breaking into the biz and having a better life

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Breaking into the biz and having a better life

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:38 pm

As an educator and independent in the industry, and with many years of experience in the studio system in Burbank / Hollywood / LA, and also being cognoscente of trends and developments in the field, I relay my knowledge, opinions and advice to students, friends and colleagues every day just about.

Here's a story I'd like to share.

I know someone who works at major studio in town. The only school he went to was my place, The Animation Academy in Burbank. Did a great job and got excellent training at a price that was nothing near what he'd pay at a big degree granting school that people assume feeds the studios and they do to large extent.

Many of the artists he works with come from this system. While they're working hard every day doing their best to pay off those gargantuan student loans, the artist I know is looking to buy land.

Today in the present animation industry, the studio system is pretty much forcing emerging artists to get a very expensive education within the status quo system for a chance to work as a production employee.

Does it have to be this way?

Aren't there any alternatives paths to studio employment that could circumvent the go into massive debt process?

There are a few mostly in the form of less expensive but highly effective online schools that train talented artists who are looking towards employment within the studio system.

The trend in our times is not just artists qualified for studio production, it's also in the demand for original content, which is exactly what production artists at the studios are engaged in doing.

Creating content. That's what it's all about. Not just filling in the spots along the assembly line, but in the creation of intellectual properties that have ownership attached to them. Just like any other property, somebody owns it or lays claim to it.

This is something I emphasize all the time with my students. Including this concept in one's thinking and being aware of everything that's going on, not just within the studios but everywhere in animation, will help position you for a brighter future.

Looking to break into the biz? Why not create your content and feature it online for all to share and experience. Work on improving your art with every new entry. The better you get the more interest you'll receive from others.

In time ya never know who might contact you to inquire about your availability. ;)

Good luck and Keep Creating!

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Breaking into the biz and having a better life

Postby Greg B » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:27 am

Our country and commerce, educational system, religion, are all now degraded to the User/Exploit Model.

What that means is their modus operandi is one where they lure you in promising service but instead are looking at what you and your resources can do for them. Working in tandem they feed one another, each getting a cut and you end up worn out, used and abused and kicked to the curb.

Americans have let this happen gradually over the past 50 or so years and now it's common practice. That's why when you have the high ground you have to dominate or you'll end up in that dwindling spiral.
Greg B

Return to General Discussion