animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Still frame Rotoscoping

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Still frame Rotoscoping

Postby tclancey » Mon May 12, 2014 9:15 am

Hi folks.

I've been struggling with Flash for over 10 days now and I think I'm basically using the wrong tool for the job.

I'm trying to 'draw' over a photo in animation, a few lines at a time, then running a 2nd and 3rd pass for fills and depth.

Flash simply can't handle the number of objects I'm creating. I've also tried ToonBoom but their technical guys say what I'm trying to do will push it as well.

What tools would people recommend for this kind of work?

Thanks.
tclancey

Re: Still frame Rotoscoping

Postby tstevens » Tue May 20, 2014 9:19 am

I have rotoscoped a couple of different ways depending on what it is. If you are just doing line work you can rotoscope directly into after effects but, you basically end up re-drawing every single frame and the tools aren't really designed for drawing efficiently. I have also imported frames into Digicel and rotoscoped over the top of them and exported out. As far as Toon Boom, I suspect you would have to work with one of the higher end packages like Animate Pro. I am pretty sure Harmony will do rotoscoping though.

Photoshop may actually be the easiest way. Export frames out from After Effects (or another compositing/editing software) as TGA sequences and open them in Photoshop. You can use a batch command to set up the layers in Photoshop. The cool part is that you can import a Photoshop stream back into After Effects, and as long as all of the images have the same layers and layer names, those layers will show as discreet layers in After Effects on the timeline. That means that you can add effects and filters in After Effects.

This is a link to my website

www.stevensanimation.com

go to a spot called Patient First on the timeline. That whole spot was done in Photoshop. Everything was done on twos so every other frame was pulled.
tstevens

Return to General Discussion