animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Living a Creative Life

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Living a Creative Life

Postby Charles » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:35 pm

Hello ANers!

It's been a great experience hosting AnimationNation for 15 years and 2 months and 2 days so far. I'm still around and spending much of my time living what a friend describes as a creative life. Most of my day is taken up with advancing projects and working my school, The Animation Academy in Burbank.

Things continue to go very well as I am developing a fan base for my own intellectual properties and also the business system I've structured through educational workshop based classes. It's all moving up to the next level step by step.

My spirit is liberated as I am immersed in creative experiences each day. No longer weighed down by the politics of the animation industry. I'm free to do exactly what I've been admonishing ever since AN first went online way back on February 25 1999.

KEEP CREATING is much more than a catchy phrase. It's a way of life that can bring you and all around you great joy. As the world heads into insanity, we can fight the good fight by burning a bright candle that only art can light.

Thank you for continuing to share what you are doing and what's happening in your creative lives. It's very inspirational.

Peace and love,

Charles Z

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Living a Creative Life

Postby Videvo » Tue May 27, 2014 3:23 am

Great attitude there, keep it up! Best of luck with your projects :)
Free Stock Footage & Motion Graphics - www.videvo.net
Videvo

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:48 pm

Feeling all that. Me and my lady were talking last night and she said she really appreciated my attitude through stressed times and the emphasis on creation was the thing that kept us sane and manifested more opportunities for us.

Keep Creating as been my mantra for a long time through my association with AN and people of like minds, like you.

Keep Creating and Claim the Kill!

Cheers to you and AN!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:31 pm

It's a great way to live if you can get into it. Used to be daring but more and more it's becoming a smart path for artists considering how the future is shaping up compared to the work for hire job area in general. I'd rather be well adapted as an independent to some level at least, than be entirely dependent on the studio system.

All while having fun creating and enjoying life!

A word of wisdom that can be helpful to those looking to make a shift. Start with your perspective on revenue generation.

Keeping your time tied into a work for hire situation where you're trading hours for income, as opposed to revenue generation, will keep you a prisoner of the system. Think long term and use studio experience to develop your personal franchise. You'll be better situated when the day comes that the studios take their love from you and show you the door.

What'll it be on that day? Looking for another prison gig or having fun with your fans?

Even if you're in a work for hire situation and are happy with living a creative life in that context I wish you happiness! 8-) :)

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion