animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Let us educate them.

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Let us educate them.

Postby JDC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:09 am

We have all seen job postings asking for free work. Today I got this in my email. I don't really want to start a thread of non-stop ranting.. I just want people to educate others.. mainly the people who ask for free work.. Say No and tell them what the value is.

Mighty Fine Entertainment - Los Angeles, CA
Payment is on an unpaid basis.
Hi All,
We are looking for animators who are seeking exposure for their animation style to help wih a comedic web series that is nearing completion. The animation will bring to life what is being spoken in interview. We want a range of animation styles ranging from 10-30secs. Animators with a sense of humor to the front of the line!

This is a perfect opportunity for an artist wanting to gain exposure for their animations and bring it to a wider audience.

Please contact me for more information.

Best,
Camille Hardman

Mighty Fine Entertainment
camille@mightyfineentertainment.com

I replied with,

Hi Camille,

I recently just saw a job posting about how you need animators with a sense of humor. You are asking for animations ranging from 10-30 seconds. You do realize how small the animation community is right? I find it funny that you don't want to pay animators for their work.. Animating 10- 30 seconds, whether it be 2D, 3D, or stop motion can range from $600-$1500 depending on complexity and that is on a low range scale.. not including storyboards, design, compositing or anything else that also does cost money. Please don't insult us like that.. We don't need exposure, we need to pay bills and eat just like you.

Thanks.
JDC

Re: Let us educate them.

Postby JDC » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:50 am

I might of been a little harsh, and there are a lot of follow up emails.. but in this day and age with the backing they have, this is just ridiculous. She could go on kickstarter and raise some funds like anyone else.. makes no sense/cents to me.
JDC

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:51 pm

Hey James. I get this all the time. Here's the latest...

Hi there,

My name is ------------- and we are producing a kids show here in ------------------.

We're looking for an animator (student or professor) to help us out to start a kids show (the first one for a pilot) for three art works.

The work # 1 is the opening of the story, a 1 minute introduction of the story (we already have the script with our own characters).

Work # 2 is your own cartoon motion picture show that you have made already (complete with voice, music, etc) that you're going to give us the right to insert in our shows - from 10 to 15 minutes.

When we get selected by a kids tv channel (we're going to present it to them all), you're going to work with us for all the episodes, so you have to keep creating longer episodes.

Remember that nobody is getting paid for the first episode. This is an absolute investment by an experienced producer/ director, professional young cast, crew, talented artists, expensive studio/location, etc.

It'll boost your career since your art work is going to be very well exposed.

We'd love you to join us, please let us know your thoughts.

Thank You,

----------------

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Here's my response to the email I posted above. I try and stay frank and diplomatic while getting the message across and letting them down gently...

Hi --------------.

It's virtually impossible to get animators interested in a project on spec. We get many requests for artists and unless there's a deal involving financial compensation, proposals similar to yours get no response. Animation artists have their own projects in progress and it's very difficult to draw them away to something else unless it's a solid employment situation.

If you can communicate something more compelling than working on spec we'll be happy to forward your message through our channels and see what happens.

Thanks for getting in touch and good luck!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion