animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Crowdfunding success: Promotion

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Crowdfunding success: Promotion

Postby Greg B » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:35 am

Since I was into crowdfunding before it was even called crowdfunding we did okay raising money for things.

Nowadays it can be a challenge because of one thing only: Promotion.

If you don't get the message out there en masse your chances of success, no matter how cool your campaign is or how sympathetic it is will fail.

Posting to Facebook friends can be useless. You can really weed the chaff from the wheat of your Facebook friends who really give a crap or are just hanging out for face-time. You post a campaign and they don't even donate a dollar? Unfriend them.

If you have a connection to a big website that has crazy traffic that can help a lot but it also depends on the type of campaign you're running. You don't go to a Russian website looking to get support for a Ukrainian support group.

Knowing the promotional tactics the pros use is a guarded secret and they'll charge you for their outdated procedures. It sucks but that's the nature of human beings.
Greg B

Re: Crowdfunding success: Promotion

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Here here Greg! Once again you've hit the nail and brought along a great topic. It's always good seeing you on the forums.

Promotion is indeed the word when it comes to the crowdfunding nowadays. I see lots of really interesting projects that don't go too far with their fund raising. Mostly I'd say because few people are aware of the project. If you have an entrenched community you can do okay. The bigger the better as far as fundraising potential.

Here's what I'm doing to get ready. I'm preparing a full slate of content. Enough to publish as an online comic / storybook twice a week for an extended period. I've got an animated pilot for the property finished and ready to go. I'm developing all of this towards building a fan base that will give me a better opportunity of a significant score with Kickstarter.

It's a lot of work. In this case not necessarily something that can be done overnight. Hopefully if people like what they see and the rewards are compelling they'll be motivated to back it and I can keep producing the project.

We shall see. The launch is not that far away.

Good luck brother! Keep creating and fight the good fight! Focus on the positive people in your life. You're always welcome here.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Charles!

I'll be breaking the promotion glass ceiling very soon. One of my clients is a master at Facebook promotion and he lives right there in LA and the kid makes well over $500k a month easy.

Add to that several of the big marketers are putting out courses on Facebook and other promotional techniques alone. What I learn I'll share with you.

I've seen guys in my marketing group make $100k and more in a week but they're pros at marketing.

Remember Matthew Lesko the crazy energetic guy often selling books on how to get government grants? He's all over crowdfunding now. He won't shut up. He contacted me a while back about it. He knows all the nooks and crannies but he's not hitting home on promotion yet.

Promotion, promotion, promotion is the winning key here. Even a lame crowdfunding project can get funded in no time with just one link or via an opt-in email list or a post on Facebook or YouTube.

It's that secret that has to be broken and I've been studying.

I need to make the extra money for health and moving back to Hollywood. These past two winters here in New York literally killed me. I'm not having this winter stuff anymore. I miss Robeks and the Disney store next to the El Capitan. Their banana splits rule.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:19 pm

My observations on crowdfunding campaigns over the past couple of years have led me to the same conclusions as to the importance of promotion. If you do it right, have a good project and offer good rewards, chances are there'll be a good payoff. I see that pattern over and over again.

Come on back Greg. I spent 2 weeks last month in February in the Chicago area and experienced that rugged weather. If it's taking the life from you then come back and get into the area again. If the winter doesn't kill ya out there the radiation from Fukushima will do us all over here. :D ;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeah Charles,

Can't wait to get back.

As for promotion for crowdfunding it is THE primary thing. It's an industry now with websites promising to send your crowdfunding campaign all over the place but be very wary as they'll say they'll send it to 600,000 people but those people live in Bangladesh or Pakistan.

I was just sent a solicitation to a FB app for promotion and will see how that works out.
Greg B

Postby Greg B » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 am

Okay, am hitting the jackpot on new traffic techniques.

They cost some money but a team could clean up HUGE.

Charles, I sent you a message via your contact form. Hit me up. Got some awesome news.
Greg B

Return to General Discussion