animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Disney's "Frozen" is burning up the box office!

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Disney's "Frozen" is burning up the box office!

Postby Greg B » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:13 pm

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=frozen2013.htm

This is something that brings a smile to my face. After all is said and done and the battle dust settles, Disney comes up with a super mega hit CG movie. Well over half a billion in worldwide sales so far. If their management and CG unit can keep making movies like this and with Marvel movies hauling in big dough too, Disney will once again be unstoppable.

I hope there are lots of animators being employed and wonder about what percentage of 2D animators have made the transition to CG?
Greg B

Re: Disney's "Frozen" is burning up the box office!

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:26 am

Glad that this movie has become a big hit for Disney. I enjoy seeing success and this kind of box office is not only good for the company but for everyone.

Disney has many properties to exploit. Look at their Marvel catalog. They're gonna to be rolling in cash for a long time to come.

Whether or not this translates into the revival of their 2D animation department is not something that I'm counting on frankly. I see traditional hand drawn animation thriving in other areas such as what's happening in France or through independent endeavors.

Still, with the major studios having these kinds of results from their films, I'm more excited and interested in the prospects of crowdfunded projects.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:33 am

Charles, I guarantee you that if someone comes up with a hit film that's 2D, Disney and every company and its brother will suddenly have a 2D department.

It's about creative use of 2D, great characters and scripts. Nothing out today in CG is anywhere near as funny as the classic Tex Avery and Chuck Jones toons.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:46 am

Charles, I guarantee you that if someone comes up with a hit film that's 2D, Disney and every company and its brother will suddenly have a 2D department.

I agree Greg. Unfortunately we're not seeing the kind of financial results from 2D films that we're seeing in CG movies. Plus the advantages of CG production such as reusable assets make it a preferable method for animation.

If it's ever going to happen with the big studios again then traditional animation artists need to carry the torch for now. A word of encouragement. Here we are 10 to 15 years into the greater part of the shift from hand drawn to CG and hand drawn is still being done in many areas. Case in point...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1816518/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ernest_and_celestine/

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion