animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

In Memory of Zina Lahr 1990 - 2013

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

In Memory of Zina Lahr 1990 - 2013

Postby Charles » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:10 pm

On April 2 2013 a most unusual student joined me for class at The Animation Academy. She came all the way from Colorado to take my Character Design 1 class in Burbank, California. She was with us for two months.

Her name was Zina Lahr.

ZinaLahr2a.jpg
ZinaLahr2a.jpg (10.09 KiB) Viewed 103 times

Zina was a remarkable and talented young lady. She dressed in aviator's head gear with goggles and had feathers streaming from her hair. She was such a gentle, kind and soft spoken soul you knew you were in the presence of someone very special every time you were with her. Someone so extraordinary she didn't seem to be from this earth.

Zina exhibited strong skills and a unique vision. She was involved in making life sized dinosaur puppets move. The kind that would require individuals suiting up inside of the contraption. Her art was beautiful and we all grew creatively while she was with us. Our experience with her was extremely positive and we missed her when she had to go back home to take care of her ailing grandmother. Just a few weeks ago in October I received an email from Zina saying how much she looked forward to coming back to The Academy again in the future.

On Wednesday, November 20 2013, Zina Lahr fell to her death in an accident while hiking in the hills around her hometown of Ouray, Colorado. She was only 23 years old.

Here's an article regarding her passing.

Zina was the kind of person that is too good for this world. She will be remembered as someone of exceptional significance and her memory will always be held as something very special to me personally.

Zina made you feel wonderful just by being in her presence. She was full of love. Someone so extraordinary that a video of her has recently been uploaded to Vimeo that shows just how incredible she was.

It was such an honor and a privilege to have been her teacher even if just for a short while. I feel blessed for having had this experience with Zina.

For myself and on behalf of everyone who knew her here in Burbank we offer her family and loved ones our sincerest condolences. I'm heartbroken over the loss of this wonderful little lady and creative genius. A shooting star that was called to heaven. We were lucky to have known you and to have had you with us Zina. You'll be greatly missed.

Rest In Peace.

Charles Zembillas

Daily Z

Charles

Re: In Memory of Zina Lahr 1990 - 2013

Postby Greg B » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:36 am

I knew her too.

This is all kinds of heartbreaking soooooo wrong news. Just devastating.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:10 am

She was incredible Greg. The coolest student we've ever had. After posting this on the Academy's Facebook page someone who was in class with her when she was here shared a photo of Zina that she took this past May 13. Here she is...

ZinaLahr3a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:59 pm

I saw the video a few weeks ago. I remember saying, man what a cool person.Even though I didn't know her I felt a loss for our world...Then an Animation Academy student told me she went there as well. I said of course, some of the coolest people I know in this industry did.

I was inspired by the video about her. I could only imagine knowing her in person.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion