animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

You don't have to be in LA to make it with your art

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

You don't have to be in LA to make it with your art

Postby Charles » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:18 pm

I keep thinking of the impossibly long lines that form at animation industry events in the LA area where artists are encouraged to show up and present their portfolios to representatives from the major studios.

With a stagnant job market in this sector of the business, how many prospects do you think are going to be hired?

This is a lot more about public relations and promotion than it is about actually picking up talented prospects.

Here's an example of someone who should be working in the local biz but is situated far away in Moscow. The artist's name is Otto Schmidt and he's an outstanding talent.

Take a look at his Facebook page. It's been up since July 2012 and in less than a year and a half he's garnered 107,000 likes!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Otto-Sch ... 6126960075

With a community that vast how do you think he'd do with a Kickstarter campaign?

If you wanna see more then check out his blog.

http://schmidteugenart.blogspot.com/

No matter where you may be located there's many ways to succeed with your art besides standing in line for a job in a Hollywood studio. If you focus on your art and really excel at what you do chances are the studios will come looking for you.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: You don't have to be in LA to make it with your art

Postby jeffnevins » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:32 am

Good point. After layoffs in '02 from a S.F. Bay Area studio, I lived in L.A. for three years, applying to just about every studio, big and small.

Even studio experience, having former coworkers working at places, and getting experts to look over my tests wasn't enough to get in.

But at least I got to see the studios, visit former coworkers there, go to the Animation Academy, land a freelance project, experience L.A. etc.

Now I work w/a small team back up in the Bay. But I agree, thanks to technology today, indie work is more viable.
jeffnevins

Return to General Discussion