animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

What's wrong with major studio animated content?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

What's wrong with major studio animated content?

Postby Charles » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:49 pm

The day before I spent the afternoon hanging out with an up and coming animation critic. He's a sharp young man with a bright future. Hadn't seem him for a while and when we reconnected we caught up on our perspectives as to what's happening in animation nowadays. Sharing info and opinions.

I really respect what he has to say and I was pleased that we both saw things spot on as to the creative side of the biz.

Top of the list... What is up with animated features nowadays?

The stuff coming from the major studios is technically and visually brilliant but the movies as a whole are far from satisfying.

Case in point Disney's latest... Frozen.

That title must be based on the brain chemistry behind this cookie cutter film.

Anyway, they don't have an exclusive license to narrative mediocrity. DreamWorks ain't far behind and Pixar seems to be struggling somewhat. Blue Sky seems to have had the best run quality wise for 2013 with Epic according to him.

Car 3 is the answer to all your problems Pixar.

Our conclusion after a couple of hours of stimulating dialogue...

The major studios are stagnant. The Internet is where real innovation and excitement are happening along with independent projects. I can attest to that having spent the past couple of years featuring animated content on AN's homepage on a daily basis.

Employment at the union studios here in LA is another indication that the majors are treading water with no growth in jobs to speak of, contrary to how many portfolios they were reviewing at this year's CTN eXpo in Burbank two weeks ago. Even Pixar is laying off employees.

On the other hand...

The crowdfunding scene and the content that's being created internationally is very stimulating.

In spite of the floundering of the major Hollywood oriented studios, we're entering into a great new creative era where it doesn't really matter what they do.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: What's wrong with major studio animated content?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:00 pm

I think its obvious. Bottom line has brought the line to the bottom. As in, The art. THe creation. The true line isn't considered as much as the implied line. The profit, the greed...

Nothing great has ever been created based off the need to manage money. Thats all these platforms are to the people in charge. Managing money...and people are resources, instead of people who create.

Thats NOT to say there are not GREAT and CREATIVE individuals who really CARE who participate...but chances are, they are not in charge.

Frozen are the souls of the money changers. Frozen are the creative minds of the slaves.

And it gets worse because no one wants to admit they have been duped.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion