animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Layoffs at Pixar - November 22 2013

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Layoffs at Pixar - November 22 2013

Postby Charles » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:57 pm

I found out a little while ago that Pixar has had a layoff of about 5% of their 1200 person workforce. That's around 60 people who've lost their jobs just before Thanksgiving.

Tough when that happens anywhere.

GoodDinosaurPixar1.jpg

Pixar will not have a feature film in release for 2014. The movie they're working on - The Good Dinosaur - has had its release date pushed from May 2014 to November 2015. That's a stretch of a year and a half.

This was first published in the LA Times article here.

Pixar had previously shut down their studio in Vancouver BC so the trend continues towards shedding weight and making adjustments.

I'm certain the extra time will make for an extra special movie.

Meanwhile, here we have another example of why it's wise to develop an independent aspect to one's career cuz ya never know what's going to happen with work-for-hire.

Here's a great opportunity for artists who've lost their employment to create something new and exciting and go with crowdfunding and see what happens!

Wishing everyone good luck and good times creating!

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Layoffs at Pixar - November 22 2013

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Makes sense to me!! I mean, Pixar has a loooooong history of flops! So yep, time to teach those artists a lesson....and make some executive bonuses along the way! Merry Christmas, Pixar, merry christmas!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 am

Snakebite! Bad dinosaur! You're a bad dinosaur! You're not supposed to say anything bad about Pixar! :shock: :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:40 pm

rawr! cough cough, meep!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Greg B » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 am

MARVEL

Plain and simple. PIXAR should team up with MARVEL because MARVEL is saving Disney's ass.

Already MARVEL has racked up box office hit after box office hit and they haven't even scratched the surface of the properties they own. MARVEL is now becoming the dominant Hollywood property house and here we are in our second incarnation of Spider-Man and he's still going strong. Just think when they start doing crossovers like Spider-Man vs Iron Man or even better, Batman vs Iron Man. You will have to tear down the theaters.

PIXAR proved itself with The Incredibles which was for all intents and purposes a knock off satire of the Fantastic Four. PIXAR can rise again but the novelty of CG has worn off. It's all about the characters and story now. Back to basics again. The superficial looks of something taking dominance over good storytelling and character development to the point that it becomes a handicap. Now it's time for PIXAR to get back to basics and make endearing characters again.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 am

Although "The Incredibles" was my favorite, Pixar proved themselves time and again. I think this delay will only help to make their next film better. And to be fair, they've had an excellent track record of keeping a lot of super talented artists employed for a very long period of time.

Here's a treat. How about a look at "jack Jack Attack" and see what happened in the Incredibles household while the babysitter was taking care of things...

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion