animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Animation Guild - VOTE FOR DAVID GEMMILL

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Animation Guild - VOTE FOR DAVID GEMMILL

Postby Charles » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:47 pm

If you're familiar with the AnimationNation Movement you're well aware of the campaign we've been on since February 1999 to bring reform to the industry through the efforts of the animation community.

One of the areas most in need of reform is no doubt the union for our industry aka The Animation Guild.

In my many years of experience in animation and especially since the launch of AN I've learned a lot about how the union operates. The biggest lesson of them all is that the leadership of the union is corrupt. The Guild is in many ways dysfunctional. At the heart of the problem is their leadership.

The position of the Business Representative has been occupied by the same person since 1989. That's going on 25 years of an entrenched individual who has done a great deal in destroying the faith and confidence that many in the Guild have in their union.

Elections are currently underway and this time around it's as bad as it's ever been. Every officer's position has been uncontested. From the president to the business rep and all points in between, the officers of the Guild for the next 3 years have been voted in by virtue of nobody running against them.

An all time low for the Guild.

Only in one area do we see any ray of hope. There's 15 people running for 11 seats on the Executive Board.

One of the candidates is David Gemmill.

David is a storyboard artist at Cartoon Network and perhaps the only artist in the union with the guts to make a stand against its current leadership.

In the past few months he's headed up an internal campaign within the Guild itself to address the serious problems that plague the union.

I've known David ever since he was a teenager in high school. Today he's a grown man with many years experience working in animation at its highest levels. There's no artist in the business whom I respect more than David.

If you're a Guild member please be sure to place your vote for David Gemmill. The deadline for casting your vote is this Friday, November 8 2013.

If David can get on the Executive Board it will herald a new beginning in the way the Guild is run. By the next election three years from now the situation within the union could be a very different one compared to what we've known for nearly 2 1/2 decades.

Vote for David Gemmill Guild members and vote for a new day in the community!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

:) :) :) :) :)

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Animation Guild - VOTE FOR DAVID GEMMILL

Postby Charles » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Check this out everyone.

There were quite a few people who wanted to vote for David Gemmill. When they went to the union's website and blog there was no info about how to vote or that even an election was taking place. Some of the union members who wanted to vote, artists who were on honorable withdrawal, couldn't because they weren't currently working. So much for years of dues paying eh guys?

ALL of the officer positions were uncontested ladies and gents. ALL of them.

Only in one area could Guild members vote and that was for the Executive Board.

The results are in and I'm sorry to say that David Gemmill was not elected.

BUT...

The Guild's not celebrating about who won.

They're celebrating that David didn't make it! :lol:

Take a look at the comments on their blog...

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... ction.html

Oh well. All I've got to say is..

Congrats to the Animation Guild on a whopping 22% voter turnout! That's a hole percentage point more than 3 years ago! :D

David Gemmill represents the future. Sooner or later these corrupt union people who thrive on member apathy will fade away.

David fought the good fight and I hope he continues to stay active within the Guild. He's a ray of light to those who look for sincere and passionate leadership.

Congratulations David for shaking things up with your courage and ideas and enthusiasm! I hope you'll continue to take on these suckers.

Next time things will be different. 8-) ;) :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:11 pm

Although he wasn't elected to the Board, David Gemmill's influence this election season is unmistakable.

There are 4 new members that have been motivated to run by David's efforts from what I'm learning of the situation. All of which are fed up with the Guild's BS and want to get things done. So that's 4 new executive boards members committed towards progress.

In addition there are 2 new shop stewards at Cartoon Network thanks to David. That's the studio he works at. Prior to this there were none. There are new shop stewards at Marvel, Disney TV, Paramount, Nickelodeon, and I'm certain there's more to come.

All of this happened since August 2013.

How did David pull it off you ask? By going to Guild meetings, seeing for himself the lame leadership embodied by the do-nothing status quo can't change law that's the way it's always been mentality of their business rep and his flunkies and then taking control of the situation.

When he saw for himself how corrupt the administration is he researched union bylaws and realized that he could form his own group within the Guild. So he did just that with the use of Facebook.

David started to organize Guild members and motivated them to take action. This is the result. For the first time in years you have people in the union who are getting off their duffs and doing something.

Did you know that executive board members in the Guild are de facto shop stewards at the studios they work at? Funny how the old guard incumbents never introduced themselves to anyone at the studios they worked at and never functioned as shop stewards or so I'm informed by those in the know. Thanks to David Gemmill all of that is changing.

This is only the beginning of the positive difference we can expect over the near term future because of his efforts.

You're a winner with us David. Keep up the great work! By the next election in 2016 you can really clean house. ;) :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I never go to the guild blog...and I mean, never. So I was moved to check it out...I think I'll go back to my "never" position again.

The word "Union" don't mean quite so much.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:12 am

I'm with you on that. I never frequent their blog anymore and I feel they are the most divisive and unappealing of all the groups in animation. I say that from years of experience.

The Animation Guild excels in turning people off and that applies to their own members more than anyone.

But... David Gemmill has been the initiator of some big changes that are coming to the business as usual can't change law bullpoopoo that typically spews from their patently corrupt leadership. Now they've got some good crowds showing up at their meetings. Like they had tonight. And there's enough reformers in the new executive board intent on putting an end to the unchallenged way of doing things that their business rep and other officers have become used to over the course of their union careers.

All of this is because of what David has been doing and continues to do as the only the artist within the Guild that has the balls to take on their system.

In time good things will happen for the union. There will be a better day for all but for now there's still more battles to be won.

Good luck David! Congrats on everything you've accomplished! Here's to a brighter future! 8-)

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion