animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Cartoon Fundraiser (Koko the Blue)

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Cartoon Fundraiser (Koko the Blue)

Postby cbrubaker » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Many of us love watching cartoons. That part's obvious, and I know that a lot of us even MAKES them.

I'm one of them. I have written about animation, most notably for Jerry Beck's Cartoon Research. Even on print I did some freelance for Hogan's Alley magazine. I'm also a cartoonist, having done illustration work, editorial cartoons, and independent comic books. I also did some animation, having been involved in Bill Plympton's "Guard Dog Global Jam", some obscure student projects, and even doing a short film called "Fishing", which had its only public screening in Boston at a pop culture convention.

One of my comics involves a character I've been developing for a while called "Koko the Blue". The main character is a teenage sorceress (originally a witch) who has to deal with her full-time job. I wrote a script early this year, which went through development, getting input from professional animation people, and then further refined from my writing partner David Winn Jr. I ultimately used the script as a comic book, which came out in June 2013. It got positive reviews, and I later did several more stories with the character.

I decided to pull everything together and make a short film based on the story. I teamed up with few friends, including animators Aaron Long ("Fester Fish") and Zoe Piel, voice actor Kyle Carrozza (also a cartoonist, creator of "Moobeard" and "Frog Raccoon Strawberry"), and composer Kevin Bluhm ("Pawn Stars", various documentaries). I set the goal to raise $13,000 to cover the costs, which isn't too bad considering how much Hollywood studios spend.

I have more details on the IndieGoGo page. Please check it out and spread the word.
cbrubaker

Re: Cartoon Fundraiser (Koko the Blue)

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:09 am

Congrats on the launch of your campaign! Here's the video...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/koko- ... short-film

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Cartoon Fundraiser (Koko the Blue)

Postby cbrubaker » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:44 pm

Passed the $500 mark in 2 days. Not bad, but we still need more.

Thanks for the encouragement! From one Charles to another.
cbrubaker

Return to General Discussion