animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

When is your art good enough?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

When is your art good enough?

Postby jeffnevins » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm

You go over it many times,for construction, another for perspective, another for tangents, etc.

After a while, you don't so anything wrong with it, but know the art director will be displeased if he finds anything wrong.

What can you do when you're just not good enough?

I guess you just take it.

Still trying to decide if the topic is hypothetical. Thanks for reading.
jeffnevins

Re: When is your art good enough?

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Maybe it is a hypothetical Jeff. Or perhaps a relative question. For instance...

When is your art good enough for...

Positive encouraging responses from family and friends?

High praise from schoolmates and teachers?

Getting people to get you to do something for them for free and saying no?

Getting paid for your work?

Getting a full time job?

Developing a fan base that follows what you do?

Developing a fan base that will spend money on what you do?

Being acknowledged for your creativity and skills and vision?

Etc...

Your art is good enough for any of these hypotheticals when it happens. There's only one way to get to those levels.

You must create and keep creating.

Be creatively productive every day. Strive to improve from moment to moment.

Look to achieve personal greatness in your art.

Share what you do with the world and let people see what you do. Inspire others with your art so that their lives improve as a result of what you do.

That's how I see it.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks. I enjoy getting into topics on everyday production. You have to try. If it isn't good enough for one person, that doesn't mean they are the sole opinion of value in the world.
jeffnevins

Postby JaredL » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:11 am

My 3D art will be good enough when it matches my drawings. With the amount of time it will take to learn to rig the characters with a feature-film level of deformation, it's much easier to just say they'll never be good enough.

Then again, they've already gotten me work, so at least some one else thinks they're good enough. :D
JaredL

Postby epicani » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 am

I feel the only person you have to be good enough for is your self. The reason I say this is because of the magnitude of options out there for artist. I think sometimes when people get their hearts set on being a quote "Animator" they always picture working for a company like Disney, Disney's Pixar, Blue sky, or dream works and they forget there are other ways to utilize their artistic talents and still animate even without the big companies.

* Starting your own Animation Company, why not be an entrepreneur!
* Work for a gaming company.
* You could work for a comic book company
* Maybe for the local news paper, you could
animate the comics section.
* Maybe you could do children's books
* You could take your artistic talents into advertising and marketing. Logo's and billboards don't just create themselves.
* You could work for a Cartoon network

Well these are just a few idea's Hope it helps from: http://epicstopmotion.wix.com/stopmotion :D
epicani

Postby jeffnevins » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah, I've been the lead (and usually only) artist at an indie 2-D gaming company for seven years. Also did some illustration & freelance during that time.

I'd love if my boss wouldn't get so worked up over revisions. I take the work very seriously, but lives aren't at stake. And we all make mistakes in art (less defined than grammer, math, etc.) But a thick skin will help, I guess.

Hope you're all doing well.
jeffnevins

Return to General Discussion