animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Sitting on good ideas? Don't wait to get them out

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Sitting on good ideas? Don't wait to get them out

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:30 am

I was surprised the other day when I saw a concept in an animated film that was identical to an idea I've had for some time. There was no way they could have copied me as I didn't mention the concept to anyone and I hadn't done much along the way of developing it graphically. None the less here it was interpreted by someone else and publicly displayed. Now when the time comes for me to do something with what I have in mind I'll find myself in the unfortunate situation of being a follow up to someone else.

Just goes to show that the universal thought bank is out there. If you have an idea chances are there's others who have something similar in their imagination and they're probably working on it too.

Lesson learned?

Don't wait to get your idea out. If at all possible try and publish it in some way and stake your claim to the concept first. This is a different day and age we're in. It's not like before where sitting on an intellectual property was wise so that nobody will lift it until you're ready for disclosure. Get your idea out sooner rather than later if you can and make use of this new medium of direct access to your fan base.

Everyone is creating all the time. If you have a project you feel strongly about you should be doing the same.

Share it with the world and see what happens.

Good luck and Keep Creating!

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Sitting on good ideas? Don't wait to get them out

Postby JDC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:21 pm

I don't know if a lot of people know who Arlo Guthrie is.. but he is Woody Guthrie's son and a talented musician/songwriter.. I saw him play live once and he talked about songwriting. He said..

"Ideas and concepts were like fish in a river. Anybody can catch one.. Sometimes you get a big one.. sometimes a small one.. and then there is Bob Dylan with a giant net."

So, catch your fish before Bob Dylan gets them all.
JDC

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:29 am

Out of curiosity, what was the concept if you don't mind me asking?
Good advice, by the way. Thanks.

I have a webcomic I'd like to get to print with a ISBN & barcode. Just waiting til I can afford it. 8-)
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:47 pm

I'd rather not say what the concept is. I'm gonna wait a while and see if the idea develops any further from the other side of the coin. If not then I'll do something with it after some time has passed. I know that's contrary to the advice I gave but that's the best way for me to proceed at this point.

Good luck with your project Jeff!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Sounds good. And thanks.
jeffnevins

Return to General Discussion