animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Where do you find happiness in animation?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Where do you find happiness in animation?

Postby Charles » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 am

I've asked myself this question for quite some time lately both rhetorically as well as looking for an answer. Some conclusions I've come to as it applies to myself...

Avoid negative distractions. They're all around us.

Avoid negative people. They'll suck the juice from your soul.

Don't buy into the studio thing as the only way to be esteemed in the industry.

Commit to personal creativity.

Commit to a project.

Build your community.

Avoid politics. Unless you're in the studio system.

Indulge in the art.

Embrace your piece of the animation pie. Things like The Animation Academy in Burbank. A source of great personal pride and accomplishment.

Be enthusiastic about what you do.

Love mankind. As difficult as it may be.

Live joyously in the moment.

Be a light to the world. In your art and in your words and deeds.

Don't worry about things. Creating takes us a lot farther than worry.

Trust in the now.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Where do you find happiness in animation?

Postby Charles » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:00 am

Tonight someone told me how a few artists at the studio he works at are freakin cuz the studio advertised for an available position doing what those artists do. They think they're gonna be replaced. It's more likely they're looking for extra help but who knows.

Nervous about yer job?

Everyone on work-for-hire is at some level. So are freelancers and independents when it comes to clients.

How can you be happy in animation if you worry about the future. Sometimes beyond reason.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Where do you find happiness in animation?

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:15 am

Forgot to say thanks on posting this til now. I enjoy practical topics of use.

The first two are tough for me because of my living situation. And the noise a neighbor, construction & painting crews make in the neighborhood. I'd like to move.

Some of the others are doable for me.

Our company hasn't finished a project in over two years. I don't have much of a say on that. At this point, I'll find a lot more happiness in something being finished, and an income after so long. But I try to be patient. 8-)
jeffnevins

Return to General Discussion