animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

If you work from home, what hours do you put in?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

If you work from home, what hours do you put in?

Postby jeffnevins » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Just curious how long indie folks work a day.

Though I do put a lot of hours in Mon-Thur (7:30 AM to 8:30/9 PM), I usually work til 5-ish Fri.

And for Sat/Sun, I've been taking them off for quite a while now (a few hours Sun night often).

I have the unique situation of living with my boss who can knock on my door anytime before 9PM-ish, but I really want to get the work done through my own motivation as well.

Seems it takes a balance of really pushing yourself without burning out/causing injury.

Thanks for replies. 8-)
jeffnevins

Re: If you work from home, what hours do you put in?

Postby Charles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Hey Jeff.

Being in business for myself for many years now I've gotta give it whatever it takes to keep things moving forward. There's no such thing as punching the clock. It's more about the clock punching me. ;)

It's a lot of work but I'm my own boss and nobody tells me what to do. They try, mostly friends and colleagues who give me unsolicited advice and have never been in business for themselves, but it still boils down to doing it my own way.

My days are long and sometimes relentless as there's always something that has to be dealt with and it's not a matter that I can pass along to someone else.

It's getting better and I find myself having periods where I can take more time off than before. That's important, being able to walk away and free yourself from the concerns and demands of your business at least for short periods.

All in all, it's a lot of hours but not as bad as working crunch time in a studio and I can be somewhat flexible as far as my schedule goes.

And at the end of the day... it's my business and my brand that the effort is going to, plus many people benefit from what I do in very positive ways and that makes all the difference. :)

Daily Z

Charles

Re: If you work from home, what hours do you put in?

Postby jeffnevins » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:44 am

Thanks for the insights Charles.
jeffnevins

Return to General Discussion