animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

A tradition of grudges

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

A tradition of grudges

Postby Charles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:22 am

Once a month I volunteer at the Burbank Historical Society. This town has a really nice museum that celebrates its history. I enjoy being there and I especially enjoy interacting with all the great people I've met and continue to meet whenever I'm at the place. Involving myself in the Historical Society experience also helps me to further appreciate the great community that I'm fortunate enough to be a part of.

This past weekend I met someone from Warner Bros who had an intimate knowledge of some of the old timers that used to work in animation. Once we started talking about the biz the first thing she mentioned was the lifelong grudges that artists would hold against each other for offenses that the outside world wouldn't normally think of as that big a deal.

I often contemplate upon what I've experienced as a result of my years in the biz and especially what I've seen through AN. Among the lessons I've learned about our community is that this tradition of perpetually holding onto grudges seems to be alive and well. From the interaction I've had with many corners and factions of animation, I can say with confidence that we all have a lot to learn about growing up and out of the pettiness that has helped to enslaved artists by virtue of own attitudes.

This is one tradition that we could do well without.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: A tradition of grudges

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:26 pm

I hear ya.

With that said, I got some straight beef with some folk. Some people are just down right mean and don't want to make amends or honor relationships.

So even though I hear ya, because I know of what you speak. There's some grudges that you wanna keep.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:40 pm

The more I learn and experience the more I realize what a strange community animation artists can be. I remember well how people would get bent out of shape over seemingly insignificant things on the old forums and I'm sure they still hold grudges. I hear about artists who've been blacklisted by their colleagues, the knee jerk reaction of people in the Guild who aren't able to handle suggestions or criticism, etc.

That's why we're weak as a community. We get so pissed off at each other for stupid reasons and we let those issues keep us divided for a lifetime and beyond.

A grudge is like a millstone around one's neck. It'll take you down and hold you back while the rest of the world moves forward.

Let it go and enjoy life.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:40 pm

I hear ya. Indeed.

...but sometimes....hahahaha
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion