animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Residuals for writers but not storyboard artists?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Residuals for writers but not storyboard artists?

Postby Charles » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

Recently I had an in depth conversation with one of our industry's leading storyboard artists working the TV side of things.

It was a telling discussion as I get great inside info as to what's really going on in the biz. Not stuff that you would normally hear or learn about through the filter of a union exec or tabloid bloggers. The real deal.

Here's what's up and what goes on routinely in TV production for animation.

It's a common occurrence for writers to create mediocre scripts. Many times they're full of problems that fly by studio producers as they do not scrutinize the script to the degree that they should when it's delivered.

Problems with the script arise after the storyboard's been done and they realize that it's not working. Which means it's back to the drawing board to revise the story and make it functional.

Does that responsibility fall upon the writer?

It should but instead it's left to the storyboard artist to work out the problems along with perhaps the director and others involved in production. Normally it's the storyboard artist that salvages an ineffective script.

No matter how bad it is or how many problems there are with the script, the writer will get residuals for that story.

What about the storyboard artist?

Doesn't it make sense to involve storyboard artists in the residual structure if they are the ones who make they script work for TV?

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Residuals for writers but not storyboard artists?

Postby marius » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:54 am

Speaking from a limited experience of working on some tv things, a lot of times our boards weren't that hot either, and the buck got passed to animation to resolve...

Seems if EVERYONE makes a thing... EVERYONE should get residuals...or no one should... and I find the idea of residuals shocking, when most artists aren't even compensated for ALL the hours they actually worked...
be.lovely.
marius

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Saturn cars had a great model. I don't know if they still do it, but they use to give everyone a percentage of the profits. Even if its micro, that s*** adds up and is a great gesture to create loyal, hard workers.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 am

I believe that's the future of business models in entertainment especially in animation and VFX. For everyone to participate in the rewards of a successful creative endeavor and enterprise.

A good friend is a worker at a mill near Chicago and is in the United Steelworkers International. Even with the great benefits that union membership offers they still get a profit sharing bonus from the company. They divide 10% of the mill's annual profits for distribution to their union workers.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion