animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Self published book makes NYT Best Sellers List

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Self published book makes NYT Best Sellers List

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Another sign of the era that we're in and a significant one at that...

Texas woman self-publishes, hits best-seller lists

Colleen Hoover skyrockets to success as self-published books lead to publishing, film deals

By Jamie Stengle
Associated Press
April 16 2013

SULPHUR SPRINGS, Texas (AP) -- After a feverish month of inspiration, Colleen Hoover had finally fulfilled her dream of writing a book.

With family and friends asking to read the emotional tale of first love, the married mother of three young boys living in rural East Texas and working 11-hour days as a social worker decided to digitally self-publish on Amazon, where they could download it for free for a week.

"I had no intentions of ever getting the book published. I was just writing it for fun," said Hoover, who uploaded "Slammed" a year ago in January.

Soon after self-publishing, people she didn't know were downloading the book — even after it was only available for a fee. Readers began posting reviews and buzz built on blogs. Missing her characters, she self-published the sequel, "Point of Retreat," a month later. By June, both books hit Amazon's Kindle top 100 best-seller list. By July, both were on The New York Times best-seller list for e-books. Soon after, they were picked up by Atria Books, a Simon & Schuster imprint. By fall, she had sold the movie rights.

"I wasn't expecting any of this at all. And I'm not saying I don't like it, but it's taken a lot of getting used to," said the 33-year-old Hoover, who quit her job last summer to focus on her career as an author.

Full article...

http://news.yahoo.com/texas-woman-self- ... 50961.html

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion