animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

What are you doing to make the industry better?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Re: What are you doing to make the industry better?

Postby marius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:32 pm

I agree with you sir, they should be gate keepers. And they should step aside gradually, in a controlled way, so as to not create chaos. I just don't think they know how. This new age, is sooo new. Even most artists don't realize it's full potential, and they live in the heart of it.

As for why in our evolution do artists need an establishment like the Union? I'd say for myself, it's to better organize, and have a stronger hand in the shape of our futures. It's easier to plan long term with order... it becomes very challenging with chaos.
The establishment, is for future generations... not for us...
be.lovely.
marius

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm

But you're only as strong as your weakest link.

Hey, I'm all for Unity but Unions don't necessarily provide that. Especially if everyone doesn't even know why they joined.

And I don't necessarily subscribe that we can't be individually strong. In fact, I feel like you have to be before you're even able to join anything.

I feel the individuals that some label reactionary are the ones to participate in true evolution.

Group think isn't all that special, as I know you know...I think.;)
SNAKEBITE

Postby marius » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Right now, in the present system... I agree wholeheartedly... you are only as strong as your weakest link... because the system caters to the man... i believe the system can be updated, to cater to itself. And if the system is designed to train, educate, and produce efficiently, it can cater to everyone.

I also agree with your statement about being individually strong. In fact, I believe that's one of requirements for becoming a master... and master's make great leaders...

My stance on reactionary (reactive is now the new term I'll be using) comes solely from trying to check my emotions at the door. I try not to let myself sway from the idea that there is a calm rational solution to the puzzle utilizing all the pieces on the board. When I find myself in a reactive state, I find myself emotional, and I find I lose perspective on what should be the focus. The focus to me is the disfunctional household that is our industry, and the exploration of possible sollutions. us all scaterring and doing our thing is great for us all... bad for it...

"Group think isn't all that special, as I know you know...I think."
I agree about group think, but group actions can be.
be.lovely.
marius

Postby SNAKEBITE » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:54 pm

Group actions and lack there of.

Hey man, I think your head and heart are in the right place. I'm not even saying you're wrong. I'm just not saying your right either. Because I have my own unique experience.

I find we look for solace in systems that are not intended for ones ideals, so I look to other systems I believe in to participate in.

I don't blame anyone but myself at the end of the day. But we can't be so enlightened that we can't determine right from wrong...not that anyone in this conversation is incapable of such things, I'm just saying.

In the chaos, as some might call it, there is a pattern. There's a heart beat when we are allowed to move freely and do our own thing, as you said. because doing ones own thing comes with working with others. Micro is the Macro. Collaboration.

Group actions can do much damage as much as good. Especially when everyone thinks the same way or subscribes to the same house. Variety of thought and execution is more important.

Emotions are good when tied to discipline. And if everyone lacked emotion we'd all be zombies. Lacking creativity. Doesn't mean being malicious, though. Means embracing your reactions, being able to understand your emotions and acting proactively.

In any case. I appreciate your views and expression.
SNAKEBITE

Previous

Return to General Discussion