animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Bye Bye TV

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Bye Bye TV

Postby Charles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:38 am

I knew it would eventually happen...

Broadcasters worry about 'Zero TV' homes

A growing number of TV viewers don't watch over cable, satellite or antenna, says Nielsen

By Ryan Nakashima
AP Business Writer
Associated Press
April 7 2013

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Some people have had it with TV. They've had enough of the 100-plus channel universe. They don't like timing their lives around network show schedules. They're tired of $100-plus monthly bills.

A growing number of them have stopped paying for cable and satellite TV service, and don't even use an antenna to get free signals over the air. These people are watching shows and movies on the Internet, sometimes via cellphone connections. Last month, the Nielsen Co. started labeling people in this group "Zero TV" households, because they fall outside the traditional definition of a TV home. There are 5 million of these residences in the U.S., up from 2 million in 2007.

Winning back the Zero TV crowd will be one of the many issues broadcasters discuss at their national meeting, called the NAB Show, taking place this week in Las Vegas.

Full article here.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Bye Bye TV

Postby Charles » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:59 am

A good friend has been having lots of problems with his soon to be adolescent daughter. He took it upon himself to help improve her attitude on life and disconnected the television set from her bedroom and put it away. he also took out the giant flat screen in his bedroom to be fair. Now the only TV is in the living room where it belongs.

Immediately after the trauma and tantrum things got back to normal and he's enjoying a renewed family life. There's more conversation now between his daughter and his wife and there's balance in the household. They do creative things together and the general improvement in the home is quite obvious.

New technologies like the Hopper and new broadcast services like Aero are making commercial free TV accessible to everyone who wants TV without the commercials. Broadcasters and cable companies are doing what? That's right! Taking legal action to keep these new systems away from you but so far they've been losing in court.

That's why I'm as enthusiastic as I am about modern media. The old way of accessing entertainment and information is slowly changing while vibrant user considerate technology is gaining ground.

Maybe this will make a difference in a more educated and aware public. Maybe it won't. We shall see in time. In any case it's good to see alternatives to the giant megalithic corporations in television entertainment rise up.

Like crowdfunding, new ways of doing things are becoming more of the norm.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:06 am

Charles, didn't I just post about this sort of change in viewership?

Yes, the networks are freaking out! Panic would be an understatement.

They're seeing a major shift in entertainment and news viewership that isn't following the traditional venues. This all started years ago with the alternative news and radio.

Back in the mid 90s when I was working for AOL our magazine there called Parascope was just a series of up to date news featuring government conspiracies, paranormal, alternative health solutions. It was the most popular news and live chat rooms site on the web. We also had the plus of the growing online radio as then radio talk show host Art Bell was a member of our staff. I got to see and take part in online radio technologies and advertisements. We had Jeff Rense too. Remember Jeff? He gave AN and the animation community air time when other news services were too chicken to do so.

Well those radio shows and news sites still blow away the mainstream. We had Matt Drudge of drudgereport.com, Alex Jones of Infowars.com all young guys then and now dominating online radio and talk and news.

People dropped the traditional and when video streaming increased along with broadband there has been a steady rise, meteoric in fact each year to now where millions of people worldwide tune into YouTube, Netflix, Hulu. Not only that but at home television shows are gaining major ground because you can broadcast for free from home with your own shows, chat, and get paid. Little venues can be lucrative like one of my favorites "Man vs Game". "Man vs Game" is nothing more than one young man who plays video games from his basement and comments on them. The show is hilarious and he makes a good income doing this. Some people have pet shows, how-to shows, talent shows, movies, and even their own webseries. People tune in regularly and the ad revenue is quite phat.

I've mentioned this to you before as you and AN could have your own live and recorded television broadcasts online and get paid for it.

Let's do more math.

Let's say a person tunes into these homemade tv shows. Each show broadcasts five hours a day. Just two shows eats up 10 hours of viewing time.

Done.

No time for CBS, ABC, NBC, or more. You get your news via breaking news embedded tickers or popup reminders. Weather, sports without the monkey shines of the broadcast staff.

Advertisers pay small but the broadcasters make great dough. If AN had a how-to draw character designs show live or recorded students and people interested could tune in daily, weekly, or monthly. That could turn into thousands of viewing hours and ad revenue on auto pilot. What's even cooler is that if you, Charles, shot a 5 hour segment and you had Chance Raspberry or Snakebite or me or whoever to shoot their own 5 hour segments we would just upload our video to your servers and bam! You have your content. People even use their cell phones to shoot live content and upload it. The software is free and some paid but that's all. Camera, software, internet access.

This is why lamestream media is terrified. People have lost 'trust' in them. The news reports bs stuff we don't care about ( middle east, celebrity gossip )yet there are real people out here covering issues we need to know about like discount shopping, lower energy bills, health care related issues.

People are going where the real talent and relevant information is. Heck, there are 70 year olds with their own online tv shows making money with great audiences.

One more time let's do some math.

Let's say you're an online broadcaster with 5,000 viewers a day. You spotlight a product on your show that goes for $10. Just one fifth of your viewership buys that product and you haul in $5k that day.

$5k a day, 5 times a week.

Yep, there are people doing this. A lot of people doing this. The trick is a subject people are interested in, lively entertaining hosts, and solid trustworthy content and advertising.

Think it's only happening in America? Nope. I've got guys in India, China, UK, New Zealand with fans from all around the world tuning into their broadcasts and they're making money. They also use their broadcasts to promote something we see here at AN a lot: crowdfunding.

Yep, just ONE online show with 5,000 viewers or 50,000 viewers can drive that traffic to a crowdfunding campaign in a matter of minutes.

With billions of people online, you're gonna catch some fish even without a fishing pole. It's the math, it's the numbers. Not only that but most online broadcasters don't have to advertise their shows! Here's the miracle and hold onto your hat, WORD OF MOUTH gets the traffic to these shows. Facebook and other social media venues sends in traffic like insane.

Knowing how to do all this takes some know-how but with a little practice you're good to go in no time.

Example with math. Let's say you do start your own online show. It takes about 30 seconds to sign up, another 5 minutes to upload your graphics to customize your site. Maybe 10 minutes to download the broadcasting software, another 30 minutes to futz around with it and start broadcasting. Your site has ads automatically embedded and when you get enough good traffic, several thousand daily or monthly, you start earning revenue. Add to that you can promote your products and other affiliate data, t-shirts, books on your show with links to your website, blogs, sales pages.

Sounds good don't it? Well it's been around for years. I've got two shows up but due to illness and moving around haven't had time to show em' off but they're there all good to go. If I can do it anybody can do it. If you're a talented artist it's a great way to hold classes. My colleagues in India are teachers doing advanced math and marketing. These people are engineers and teach all over the world. My head hurts studying the math and theories and practicals but they don't bs regarding math and engineering over there.

So as more people produce quality content and have access to the web and the broadcasting software gets better it is attracting viewership time which is the lifeblood of mainstream television and right now mainstream television has a cut artery.
Greg B

Postby Greg B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 am

No sooner said than done. Here's a story on a CNN news show that got piss poor numbers and got cancelled. Mind you, the numbers quoted here don't even come close to some online at-home broadcast shows and this is friggin' TimeWarner!

http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/DA5HHF500

If TimeWarner can't bring in the numbers something is wrong. No, something isn't wrong, it's called competition and a good bit of it is online.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 am

Check this out from the article...

CNN's new prime time show... "averaged 268,000 viewers last week, or fewer than the 446,000 the network reached in March with a rerun of Anderson Cooper's newscast from two hours earlier."

Some YouTube videos get far more views than this in a comparable amount of time.

Yep, they got their troubles alright and I for one will shed no tears for them. What we're seeing now is a consciousness that TV probably never thought would happen. More of their viewers are simply turning it off and going in other directions with their valuable time and attention.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:29 pm

And with those viewers going away so do the advertising dollars.

People are losing confidence in government and the mainstream media that is obviously controlled. The Middle East dominates the news and has so for over 50 years. That oil money and Israel and Arab States nonsense has put the American people's priorities on the far back burner. With no light at the end of the tunnel regarding an economic recovery people are turning off the mainstream stuff.

Look at Drudgereport.com. Billions upon billions of hits that dwarf all the mainstream news sites combined. Why? Because he covers what the mainstream won't. Same with Jeff Rense, Alex Jones, Coast to Coast AM.

As for entertainment people are turning to the classic tv shows on Hulu, Crackle, Veoh, and Netflix. They're tired of gangsta rap crap and studio created singers who couldn't hold a note with a shopping cart.

Storytelling, acting, have gone by the wayside with the mainstream shows.

Quality content. Make it and they will come.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:44 pm

How right you are. I don't miss TV at all. I find most people that tune out to it get back to some semblance of mentally health soon after.

The loss of advertising dollars... you know... those endless commercials that you're forced to endure for the few minutes of programming in between... That's what the lawsuits are about. They're trying to stifle technology that will free viewers from the mind numbing ads that for the most part are a waste of life having to sit through them.

My attitudes are also changing when it comes to mainstream animation. I find myself increasingly disinterested in what the major studios are doing. I enjoy great art and animation but I'm very much turned off to the animation business as we've known it. If the project is cool I'm intrigued in the project. I can live without everything else. The studio gossip, the politics, the attitudes...

I'm much more interested in what's happening in other areas of the biz. Independent projects, crowdfunding, international animation, Web based shows, etc. The alternative scene in general.

It's the vanguard of what we can expect more of in the future. Compelling content from sources besides the same ol same ol.

When it comes to the demise of TV and everything it represents in the modern era, I for one couldn't be more pleased.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/netflix-viewing-higher-cable-networks/

ROFLMAO! Here's the proof of this thread and what we've been saying all along.

This story shows that more people are watching Netflix than any cable channel.

The stats don't lie here. We're talking billions of minutes and it keeps growing. Netflix even has original programming which will only succeed if it's quality. Cable television has so much stuff no one wants to see except sports and cartoons. I asked a pal who works corporate at Netflix about doing animated movies or television shows and they said "Heck yeah!".

Anyway, Netflix is giving the other networks a literal run for their money. Check out the math in this story.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:10 am

Here it comes folks. TV over the Internet is on the way. This is one of the new services the broadcast industry has so far unsuccessfully sued to keep from becoming available. Started in New York and is now making its way to Boston...

TV-over-Internet service Aereo expands to Boston
By Anick Jesdanun
April 23 2013

NEW YORK (AP) — Aereo, the television-over-the-Internet service that is threatening the broadcast and cable TV industries, is expanding to Boston on May 15.

With prices starting at $8 a month, Aereo will offer 28 Boston-area broadcast channels, plus the cable channel Bloomberg TV. Service will be available in Boston and surrounding areas in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont.

The Barry Diller-backed company announced in January that it plans to expand beyond New York to 22 additional U.S. markets. Boston represents the first metropolitan area outside New York. Others expected in the coming months include Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington.

Aereo converts television signals into computer data and sends them over the Internet to subscribers' computers and mobile devices. Subscribers can watch channels live or record them with an Internet-based digital video recorder. They can pause and rewind live television, just like a DVR.

Aereo sells its service as a low-cost alternative to cable or satellite TV, and it plans to target those who have dropped pay-TV service or never had one. Aereo offers far fewer channels than most pay-TV packages, but it could appeal to viewers who already turn to Hulu, Netflix and other online sources for TV shows and movies.

Broadcasters see Aereo as a threat to their revenue, even though stations already make signals available for free. Broadcasters are increasingly supplementing advertising revenue with fees they get from cable and satellite TV companies for redistributing their stations to subscribers. If customers drop their pay-TV service and use Aereo instead, broadcasters would lose some of that revenue.

So far, federal courts have ruled against broadcasters' claims that Aereo's service constitutes copyright infringement. Aereo claims what it is doing is legal because it has thousands of tiny antennas at its data centers and assigns individual subscribers their own antenna. According to Aereo, that makes it akin to customers picking up free broadcast signals with a regular antenna at home. Broadcasters argue that the use of individual antennas is a mere technicality meant to circumvent copyright law.

Although the latest ruling, from the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, will likely be appealed, broadcasting companies have already threatened to take their stations off the air. The Fox and Univision television networks are among those that say they might end their free broadcasts and become a subscription-only channel like CNN, Nickelodeon and Discovery.

In a Twitter post Tuesday responding to the Boston expansion, CBS Corp. spokesman Dana McClintock vowed, "And we will be there to sue them." In an email, McClintock said the specifics of such a lawsuit were still to be determined.

If such a lawsuit is filed, Aereo could seek to have the cases consolidated in New York, where the company has had favorable rulings. But if broadcasters succeed in keeping the cases separate, they would have a better chance of winning in Boston because Massachusetts is part of a different appellate region and would not be bound by the 2nd Circuit's past rulings. The U.S. Supreme Court — or Congress — would be left to settle any conflicting rulings.

Aereo's Boston expansion will initially be available only to those who had pre-registered for the service. The New York-based company said others would be able to join after May 30.

Subscribers must live in one of 16 counties: Barnstable, Dukes, Essex, Middlesex, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, or Worcester in Massachusetts; Belknap, Cheshire, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham or Strafford counties in New Hampshire; or Windham County in Vermont.

Article

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion