animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter WTF $ucce$$

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter WTF $ucce$$

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Man, this is getting nuts! :D

I was wondering when the established live action crowd fed up with Hollywood would be getting into crowdfunding. They probably already have but since I follow the animation / comics / game side of things I'm not on top of it as much.

But ya can't miss this!

Veronica Mars was a popular TV show in the US and Canada a few years ago. It was canceled and now there's a campaign to produce it as a movie.

Here's where it's at so far...

50,979 backers pledging $3,362,616 of a $2,000,000 goal with 28 days to go!

That's a 30 day campaign folks and they're already approaching $3.5 mil with only 2 days passed!

They reached $1 mil in 4 hours !!! :o

Another 4 hours later and they were at $2 mil !!! :shock:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559 ... ie-project

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Veronica Mars Movie - Kickstarter WTF $ucce$$

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm

I was listening to NPR yesterday and they were talking about this film. I haven't been feeling NPR for awhile now, I feel like they got owned by some big company now and they tone is pretty negative these days. Agenda based. I mostly listen for when it turns back into KCRW and plays good music.

So anyways, they were talking about this. And had an expert come on to talk about it. This dude was a nay saying. He was saying, any indie film makers who think they're gonna get their film funded because of this are sadly mistaken. That this is a fluke and kicksstarter is as well. That crowdfunding is a trend that will die off. I couldn't believe my ears. They didn't have an opposing view or anything. Just a straight negative sound bite.

I feel like in the upcoming months we'll be hearing more "news" like this from the mainstream to try to program us to believe this poopoo.

The fact that concepts are being funded independently straight from the audience tells me that they are yearning for more and they aint getting it.

Keep Creating!!
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:34 pm

That's funny cuz in the 2 hours since I posted this topic the campaign has made another $25,000.

If they didn't run out of top tier rewards this campaign would probably go into the $10's of millions. Maybe it will anyway!

Anybody who publicly poopoos crowdfunding at this stage of the game literally has no idea what they're talking about. Or maybe they do but they're trying the best as they can in a futile attempt to get others not to take this seriously and stick with their fast fading model.

These are most likely industry insider people who see the writing on the wall but are looking at it with their eyes wide shut. Just like they did with music and the Internet in the 1990s.

It'll be interesting to see how they react in a couple of years when the new paradigm is fully manifested and the process of producing entertainment by the people for the people is the norm. Do you think they'll try and pass (you can't change) laws to subvert crowdfunding in some way? Do you think they'll try and buy off the government to sabotage this free exchange of capital and content?

Wouldn't surprise me if they're already working on it in those corporate back rooms.

This is the present and the future all you monkeys!

Might as well accept it! ;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:00 pm

Unfortunately, unless this crowdfunding sensibility bleeds into how people participate in government, I see full regulation hitting this arena. Eventually. They will want to control the success especially since the big entertainment companies will feel the pinch. Lets not think that the entertainment companies don't have influence over government.

Or they will start taxes us more for our success.

But, in the meantime, embrace it. maybe it won't happen because more self sustaining artists and creators/builders become part of this new future.

Positivity fractals like negativity. We just gotta decide where to put our focus.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Let's see, there's 1500 more backers and another $150,000 added since I first posted this a few hours ago.

Approaching $3.5 mil...

On top of it all this campaign was a front page story in the LA Times today!

'Veronica Mars' film a go, thanks to a kick from Kickstarter

The success of the $2-million Kickstarter campaign in support of 'Veronica Mars,' a TV show that has been off the air for more than five years, illustrates the power of social media and its potential to reshape the economics of Hollywood.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Yvonne Villarreal
Los Angeles Times
March 15, 2013, 6:00 a.m.

Illustrating the power of social media, more than 30,000 fans of the cult favorite television series "Veronica Mars" pledged $2 million in a single day — or 10 hours, to be exact — to finance an independent film based on the teen drama.

The overnight success of the fundraising effort — the biggest film campaign in Kickstarter history, and the fastest to reach the $1-million threshold — represents a milestone in Hollywood moviemaking economics. It demonstrates that devoted fan communities can rally to support projects that mainstream studios might otherwise reject.

Full article here

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 am

Still racking up crowdfunding cash with plenty of time yet to go before the deadline.

55,442 backers pledging $3,638,688 of a $2,000,000 goal with 25 days left!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Here's an update on the Veronica Mars project on Kickstarter. The one that gave Hollywood a glimpse at what crowdfunding can do with TV content that was no longer broadcast but still had a dedicated fan base...

63,878 backers pledging $4,342,966 of a $2,000,000 goal with 11 days to go!

More than $700,000 more than at my last post 13 days ago.

Mars and beyond! ;)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey there Hollywood TV industry. Check out the results of the Veronica Mars campaign on Kickstarter...

87,077 backers pledged $5,505,612 of a $2,000,000 goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559 ... ef=popular

Life after TV death... :D

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Looks like Kickstarter needed to update the numbers higher for the final tally.

Here it is...

91,585 backers pledging $5,702,153 of a $2,000,000 goal!

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion