animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Beginner Animator...advice?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Beginner Animator...advice?

Postby Vera » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:21 am

Hello AN. Im new here and this is my first post. To know a little about me I'm 19 (20 next week) I'm from New Jersey but am about to move to Texas and attened Sam Houston and study animation. When it comes to animation I am a complete n00b. I feel very far behind as i see most people start animation when they are about 14 years old. I feel when i get to school everyone in class will be far ahead. The reason i chose animation is because i am an artist and i want to express my ideas through animation .i know as soon as i learn my ideas will be awesome its someting i really really want to do. Im more into 3D btw but knowing both 2d and 3d would be nice.

I have anxiety problems so my worries always feel bigger then they actually are. I joined this site so i may get advice (eventually also give advise) on where to start and what to practice just so im not entering school knowing nothing. So far i have downloaded Blender but i havve no clue where to even begin there so i am reading tutorials but its still all confusing but ill keep reading.

While i am reading i still practice my art everday on things such as anatomy and balance and overall style. So the art aspect is not a problem so much as understanding all these program out there.

Thank you for taking your time to read this and i apologize for any typos and so many lower case "i"s i am typing on a tablet and this touchscreen could be a pain.
Vera

Re: Beginner Animator...advice?

Postby Charles » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:49 am

Welcome to AN Vera. Thanks for checking in.

My advice would be to first of all don't worry or stress about it. If you are looking to study animation then approach it with sincerity and in a spirit of fun and curiosity. Don't be concerned about others or where they're at right now. Focus on yourself and learn from those around you. Don't be intimidated by what you may not know or by comparing yourself to others. Imagine how much faster you'll learn in an atmosphere where you can pick up something new just by watching what the guy next to you can do.

Be creatively productive every day! I've seen students come from nowhere, from literally the back of the pack and go on to great things because they were hungry to learn, create and excel.

So relax and have a good time with it all. Make friends and join teams that have projects going. If after a while you feel that it's not right for you then move on to something else. There's lots of different areas to apply your art and your talent and skills. Talent isn't limited to animation. Have a good attitude and look at the positive side of things. Develop a problem solving approach. When you encounter adversity you'll be better prepared to deal with it.

Good luck and again, have fun! Put your anxiety in a box and toss it overboard. Go with your gut feelings and use our head. Be confident in the decisions you make. Once you've made that decision and are on the path walk it with confidence. Be true to yourself at all times.

Best wishes in all you do!

Remember no matter where you are in life to Keep Creating!

Daily Z

Charles

Stick With It & Follow Your Heart...

Postby ChanceRaz » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Charles is right, Vera. =)

I have Tourette Syndrome and one of the byproducts of that is overanalyzing and worrying. It used to be a real issue for me, but great friends and mentors of mine like Charles, my parents, and others have helped me to realize (with time) that worrying about things solves nothing. In fact, it almost always makes things worse because our ideas about reality are usually much bigger and badder than reality itself, and the true reality is that there's very rarely anything worth fearing at all.

You are not behind. I did not start pursuing animation professionally until I was about your age - now I've worked on The Simpsons as a character layout artist and animator for nearly seven years. It took a lot of time, sacrifice, and hard work to break in, but it was ALL fun and fulfilling because I was doing what I loved, what I wanted, and what made my happy! When that's the case, the hard work always pays off and is worth your while.

I just posted some advice to another young animation student here on AN - if you'd like to check out that thread and hear what Charles and I had to say, it's here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4604#p11732

I also just recorded a four-part interview with the animator behind Eek The Cat, Shnookums & Meat, Mad Jack The Pirate, The Simpsons Tracy Ullman shorts, and the legendary Roger Rabbit theatrical cartoons, Mr. Bill Kopp. It really inspired me and reminded my why I got into animation in the first place! Here is Part 1:

To get Parts 2, 3, and 4 you can sign up for my FREE newsletter and check out the independent project I'm doing outside of the studio market at the links below. I hope this stuff helps you, Vera! =) Stay true to yourself, never give up, keep creating, and always...

Follow Your Heart,
Chance

http://eepurl.com/ue5xb (Get My Newsletter)
http://www.HesLittleBilly.com (My Independent Project)
http://www.UnitedWeBrand.org (The iMovement For Artists)
ChanceRaz

Return to General Discussion