animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

AN Video - Self Taught ???

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

AN Video - Self Taught ???

Postby Charles » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 pm

This is my third video commentary that I shot for the forums. It took place in the morning and I'm not much of a morning person but it turned out okay. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that I didn't have that much time on my camera so I had to continue with what I was saying on a separate video.

Self taught ??? - Part 1 & 2...

Daily Z

Charles

Re: AN Video - Self Taught ???

Postby pkotvi » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 am

Well said Charles, totally agree
pkotvi

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Couldn't agree more!
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:20 pm

Your example is pretty specific, Charles. But its amazing the general feeling of the term...even the definition of the term can contradict itself

Definition of SELF-TAUGHT
: having knowledge or skills acquired by one's own efforts without formal instruction <a self–taught musician>
: learned by oneself <self–taught knowledge>

So other then sitting in a cave and letting the universe bless you with great wisdom, which can happen just don't see it much hahahahaha, I don't know anyone who is self taught...What is formal instruction? these days you can find all the knowledge off the internet...its still instruction, so since its not in a classroom then it doesn't count...

what trips me out is most of my experience comes from instruction. Either from videos online or in a classroom or by a fellow employee etc etc... No one is by themselves. Everyone is exposed to knowledge.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:31 pm

Definition of SELF-TAUGHT
: having knowledge or skills acquired by one's own efforts without formal instruction

How does one define "formal education"?

If someone paid for an education in a subject, let's say they paid to take my character design or visual development course and afterwards told people they were self taught, then how does the paid teacher and paying student relationship qualify as anything other than formal education?

Let's say you pay an online educator to teach you how to drill a hole in a tree. Then you become the outstanding tree hole driller in town and you promote yourself as self taught. Does the tree hole drilling instruction you paid for suddenly not count as formal education?

It's very dishonest and misleading of artists in animation who paid for an education at an educational institution, attending class on a regular basis, to professionally represent themselves as self taught. As I mentioned in the video it's part of the dysfunction of the community.

It's an ego based fantasy. Some artists want to impress their fan base with a false and misleading illusion and it's very dishonest.

There's too many things wrong with the wiring of animation artists nowadays. If these guys are gonna go around claiming to be self taught after taking classes with me it's my obligation to counter that misrepresentation with the truth.

Let's grow up and stop behaving like delusional grade schoolers.

Embrace professional standards and acknowledge your teachers.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Even if you watch videos online for free on youtube..or you ask a question in regards to one aspect of what you do...its being taught. I think its part of a larger problem. We're so disconnected from each other it seems. I can't even believe its something worth defining. Ya know? Self taught means you have nothing to learn, cuz without other peoples knowledge that came before you there would be nothing for you to discover...
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion