animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Michel Gagne's 'Saga of Rex' on Kickstarter

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Michel Gagne's 'Saga of Rex' on Kickstarter

Postby Charles » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

We've had a long and positive relationship with the great Michel Gagne. He was a member of AN for many years. An extraordinary animation talent who's successful independently as well as through his association with the studios.

Michel has a Kickstarter campaign in the works involving his ongoing project "The Saga of Rex".

Michel explains his goal is to make a film on a shoestring budget that will look like it cost many times its production cost while using his Secret Production Blog to share what he learns, divulge knowledge and give a real insight into his process. A great crash course for students in making a classically animated film.

Michel's goal is $15,000 and just three days into it he's already at $10,787 as of this writing. Click here to see the Saga of Rex Kickstarter campaign and consider supporting it if you would. Here's a look at more of Michel's incredible animation...

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Michel Gagne's 'Saga of Rex' on Kickstarter

Postby Charles » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am

Here's Michel himself describing the nature of the project...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:15 am

There's 25 days left to Michel's campaign and he's on the verge of hitting his $15K goal. He has 307 backers pledging $14,793 so far.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mic ... sts/335820

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:49 am

In the hour and a half since I made my last post Michel Gagne's "Saga of Rex" Kickstarter campaign has surpassed its $15K goal!

There's $15,450 pledged with 24 days left to go from there.

More Kickstarter $ucce$$ to celebrate!

Congrats Michel!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Michel is picking up steam! He has 436 backers pledging $21,637 of a $15,000 goal with 23 days to his campaign. Wonder how far he'll get with his Kickstarter fundraising. We'll know by November 22.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:10 am

Michel is doing very well with his Saga of Rex campaign on Kickstarter. He's at $30,100 pledged of $15,000 goal through 550 backers with 17 days to go. Doubled his goal and he's not at the halfway point yet!

Michel Gagne's "Saga of Rex" on Kickstarter.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:27 pm

Update on Michel Gagne's "Saga of Rex" on Kickstarter...

He has 675 backers pledging $38,065 of a $15,000 goal with 6 days to go in the campaign.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mic ... lm-project

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Getting tired of all the $ucce$$ful crowdfunding news lately?

Me neither! :lol:

Michel Gagne's "Saga of Rex" campaign on Kickstarter is down to the wire. With 44 hours to go he's at $50,371 from 753 backers for a $15K goal!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mic ... sts/353020

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:46 am

Celebrating more Kickstarter $ucce$$...

Congrats to Michel Gagne on the funding of his "Saga of Rex" campaign !!! :)

There are 880 backers pledging $57,875 of a $15,000 goal.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mic ... sts/353020

Much to be thankful for on this Thanksgiving Day 2012... ;)

How is Kickstarter and crowdfunding making a difference?

Read what Michel has just sent to the backs of his project...

Thank you all so much. I was practically in tears when I saw the results of the campaign. So unbelievable! A few months back, I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get started on The Saga of Rex Movie. I had already planned to relocate for a bit, and go work for one of the big studios for a few months in order to save up some money—so that I could return to my independent work as soon as possible. Just before I started putting a portfolio together, I decided to invest the time building a Kickstarter campaign instead. So glad I did! And you, my friends, have now given me your vote of confidence and the opportunity to do this film. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I have some big plans ahead, and will share more in the coming days. For now, Nancy and I will take the rest of this Thanksgiving weekend off and we will be back in touch on Monday with a survey for all the backers. At that point, you can let us know about your item choices, your addresses and special requests.

Once again, thank you all for making this happen!

Michel Gagne
November 22, 2012

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Last year in November 2012 long time ANer Michel Gagne conducted a successful Kickstarter campaign to finance several minutes of production for his project The Saga of Rex.

Here's the happy result... :)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:14 pm

More good news from Michel Gagne and "The Saga of Rex" via his Kickstarter campaign supporters...

Happy New Year, everyone! It's been a while, so I thought I'd bring everyone up to date on what's happening with Rex. After finishing the short film last July, I entered negotiations with a renowned Belgium studio called Grid Animation. We recently signed the contract and today the following press release was issued. Thank you all for helping to make this happen!

Michel Gagne

------------------------------------------------

The Saga of Rex Sets Course for Belgium to Become an Animated Feature Film

Grid Animation, Belgium's premier animation and visual effects company, has acquired the option to create the feature film version of Michel Gagné's graphic novel, The Saga of Rex. Production is expected to start in the summer of 2014 with Gagné attached as director. The animated film will be a European co-production with main production taking place in Brussels.

The Saga of Rex was initially serialized over a period of 6 years, from 2005 to 2010, in the acclaimed comic anthology, Flight. It was compiled and published as a graphic novel in 2010, by Image Comics. Following a successful Kickstarter campaign, Gagné was able to produce four minutes of animation demonstrating the potential of bringing the story and imagery to animation.

"Years ago, I discovered The Saga of Rex in Flight, and I immediately loved it," said Mark Mertens, Managing Director for Grid Animation. "After the Kicktarter campaign, I contacted Michel to inquire about the rights for the movie. I was thrilled to discover that they were still available."

Since 1995, Grid has been providing services such as 3D, 2D, VFX, and set supervision for advertising and film production companies from facilities in both, Ghent and Brussels, Belgium. More recently, they started organizing complete productions for advertising and corporate assignments, as well as acting as a co-producer for international animated films. Last year, they were awarded "Animation Producer of the Year" by Cartoon Forum.

"I'm extremely excited about the prospect of working with Grid Animation and have access to the amazing European talent pool," said Gagné. "With a proper budget, and an inspired team to help me fulfill my vision, my dream of making an animated feature film that is a poetic work of art is now closer than ever to becoming a reality."

Michel Gagné is a veteran filmmaker, animator, comic artist, author and video game designer with over 25 years of experience. He was awarded a BAFTA (British Academy Award) and an Annie Award in 2010 for his video game, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion