animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Phil Roman's Holiday Hello - 1992

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Phil Roman's Holiday Hello - 1992

Postby paburrows » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:56 am

I found this and thought that I'd share.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5PPtuM79brI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5PPtuM79brI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
paburrows

Re: Phil Roman's Holiday Hello - 1992

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Paul, I'm reposting the video. For your future reference, all you need to do is copy and paste the part of the url that follows the = sign. For example, here's the original link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PPtuM79brI

This is all you need to paste betwen the youtube brackets...

5PPtuM79brI

Regarding the video, I recognize a few of the faces.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Wow, this is a long time ago. I was 7 years old.

Still laughing at all these era cars and hairstyles . . .
EAllen

Postby EAllen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Also, always a hilarious time-capsule are the appearance of over-sized Post-It notes dotting the landscape of a very-retro vending machine, complete with candy bars in classic wrapping.

I think I even see a few I used to love that don't exist anymore . . .

Got to the Cro part and it was obvious this was an inside joke, but that got the hardest laugh out of me, as the Cro work couldn't have been easy!

Lots of similar sentiments come from artists having to work on children's edutainment shows!
EAllen

Postby paburrows » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks Charles, I guess that I should have read your instructions first. There was actually a guy in the very begining in the bread part that I did a double take, because he looks like a younger you. But I know that you worked at Filmation I believe back them, so its someone else.
paburrows

Postby MrFun » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Yeah, I'm old enough to remember. Those were fun days indeed. Can't help but wonder if anyone's having fun today?
MrFun

Postby Charles » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 am

Paul, I'm not in the video. Filmation closed its doors in 1989. In 1992, I was spending most of my time at DIC, which afforded me the flexibility to indulge in some independent projects I was attempting to produce. It was a particularly significant year for me as I went through an embezzlement that affected me career in many ways and really galvanized my attitude towards the corporate control of our industry.

And as Mr. Fun stated, I would agree. Even with the bad times I was experiencing, working in the industry seemed a lot more enjoyable back then. It was aggressively expanding and we were at the very beginning of the second golden age. Your drawing skills alone would get you hired. High end technology wasn't as big of a factor in production at the time. It was just beginning to emerge. Animation was still mostly pencil and paper.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion