animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Homestuck - Huge Kickstarter $ucce$$

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Homestuck - Huge Kickstarter $ucce$$

Postby Charles » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:44 am

Have you heard of Homestuck?

Most people haven't, even in animation. But kids sure have.

I found out about it just this week from my teen students. It's an online interactive comic that at first glance doesn't seem so impressive. But there's something about it that's been a big draw for kids and I think it has to do with their ability to affect what happens with the story.

In any case, Homestuck has quietly made big news that few in our industry have heard of yet. They recently launched a Kickstarter campaign that became the 6th most successful in Kickstarter history.

They were shooting for a $700,000 goal to produce a video game based on the property.

They wound up with $2,485,506 through 24,346 backers!

Here's the link to the Homestuck Kickstarter campaign. It wrapped up only a week ago today.

Homestuck is hosted by a site called mspaintadventures.com

A lot of exciting things happening in the Internet world of character based projects both in comics and animation. Homestuck is another example of what can be achieved by forgoing the usual path of traditional entertainment and taking the road less traveled which looks to be more traversed as time goes on.

Here's their Kickstarter video...

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion