animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Trailer for HALKa

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Trailer for HALKa

Postby EAllen » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:26 pm

Apparently (and i use the word "apparently" tongue-in-cheek here) a knockoff of the Hulkster as we know him from Marvel, made by a group of film students in Bangladesh.

These guys are calling themselves Taar Cheera Entertainment. During the course of this trailer, you'll see a boy stop a tank with his bike, guns come out of a rickshaw from nowhere, HALKa cartoonishly taking a jog, another guy casually and cartoonishly dodging a car bomb, and other assorted oddities.

I think these guys deserve a multi-picture deal from a big studio, how about you?
EAllen

Re: Trailer for HALKa

Postby EAllen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 pm

The TaaR CHeeRA guys just dumped a crapload of additional information on me via e-mail on their HALKa short, currently gaining substantial traction with their views count at a half-million, and the Slashfilm coverage (which you can find here). I'll be posting our e-mail exchanges below.

First, I've decided to format part of this as an interview!

(First part posted "as is"!)

Re: more info abt. HALKa
View Contact
To: Enoch Allen <e44r32@yahoo.com>

Dear Allen,

Thanks for you mail. I may have to tell you in detail to understand how we made HALKa.

HALKa is a production of TaaR CHeeRA Entertainment. TaaR CHeeRA (TC) means "Disconnected Wires" (little mad/crack etc.). TC is not like any traditional production company, It is a name of a Team whom are basically practicing & studying film in different theaters & universities (think like a musical band team). Founder of this team is Afgani RaNA (director & writer of HALKa). There are only 10 members in TaaR CHeeRA. Their only dream is to make fantasy based main stream film. As a sample this team decided to make "HALKa " as a parody short film of 45minutes with very low budget.

1.) What was the budget for the film? How did you get it?

1. We made HALKa within 800 dollars. I know it sounds too much low. Basically in our country... an avarage budget for 2 hours commercial film is about 150,000 dollars & a regular drama of 45 minutes cost 2000 dollars. But our short parody film halka was made without any payment to any artists, team or no extra cost for technical or vfx. As it is a experimental student film & not made for commercial purpose, every one worked here as volunteer. 90% of its artists are amateur (never faced camera before). Technical support & Post production provided as free from a company named "MediaMax Communications" (company owner is a film student & TC member too). All were handy products. Basically food & transport cost was the only financial requirement in this short film. Almost every TC members paid for this experimental project.

2.) What were the techniques (what programs did you use to complete the VFX shirts (shots) for the show)?

2. Special effect supervised by the director Afgani himself. And we have used basic softwares like Adobe Premiere, 3D Studio Max, Poser, After Effect etc. There were no special techniques, only simple technique was pre plan.

3.) What kind of success did you guys enjoy with the film?

3. We have not released the film to the public yet. But it has submitted to the Film & Media Department of "Stamford University Bangladesh" as a final project. Where teachers & students are proud of it. Hope soon, we will show it to some non conventional theater & other universities auditorium as a student film. All shows of HALKa will be for free. Yet now we have released only HALKa trailer & some specific scenes as teaser.

Now about the response of HALKa Trailer, all of our team member are really happy to get huge response from all over the country & also from abroad. Many local & international mails & calls are coming. Our trailer already reached to almost "500,000" viewers. Check our web site, youtube & visit "TaaR CHeeRA" group in FaceBook.

HALKa is now a dream to the all TC members. May be our VFX & production quality is not that standard right now (due to budget), but hope our different story, action & the sense of humor may setisfy viewers expectation. 45 minutes will be full of fun for all ages.

To know more about our HALKa, please download HALKa Thesis that we submitted in Stamford University:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hm3cg369yqe4665 (Don't use! Updated link to be posted shortly!--EA)
(In this thesis we have showed that our budget was about 1800 dollars. Ignore it, because it was just for university point purpose.)

Wrote too much. But again thanks for your interest on it.

- TaaR CHeeRA
www.mediamax.tk

The TaaR CHeeRA guys e-mailed me again. It was back and forth for a while between me and the Bangladeshi filmmakers-in-training . . .
EAllen

Postby EAllen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 pm

In this second e-mail, the TaaR CHeeRA guys talk just a little bit about their ambitions. Again, their responses will be pasted as is with no modifications by me whatsoever.

Re: more info abt. HALKa
View Contact
To: Enoch Allen <e44r32@yahoo.com>

Dear Allen,

Many thanks for your support. Feel free to share anything of HALKa to any where. The reason we made HALKa is, share, enjoy & let people know our country (please make sure we are not part of India & not from bollywood).

After HALKa... we hope to make 2 full length films. One with original story of a Foolish Paranormal Detactive & another will be a parody of "Werewolf".

In a 3rd world country like Bangladesh, we may have many limitations. But Bangalis have already started to dream, one day, Bangladesh will make International quality film. Thanks again.

- TaaR CHeeRA
www.mediamax.tk

You heard it folks. TaaR CHeeRA plans for their next film to be about a goofy detective investigating paranormal events (sure to be VFX-filled, I bet) and a werewolf parody, sure to be infused with (and I say the following with all due respect--and giddy anticipation) their trademark weirdness!

Good stuff coming down the pike from these fellas, who already have net snarkers calling their "Hulk" parody better than the $150-$200 million-dollar films being parodied!
EAllen

Postby EAllen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm

HALKa Updated Thesis
View Contact
To: e44r32@yahoo.com
Dear Allen,

Please download updated & final thesis of HALKa. Please share this download link or file to other:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x02iwyrz6a2pwx6

Thanks.

- TaaR CHeeRA
http://www.mediamax.tk

If you want, click the above MediaFire link to get their .pdf thesis/project outline, and learn more about this very funny project.

Many thanks to TaaR CHeeRA for treating me like an insider, regarding this emerging Bangladesh film scene and talent.
EAllen

Return to General Discussion