animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Blasphemous South Park

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Blasphemous South Park

Postby Charles » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:21 pm

In the news today, amid the intense broohaha over the video 'Innocence of Islam' that has led to protests and violence in the Muslim world, some people are questioning the animated series 'South Park' which has been denigrating religious beliefs for years.

Fox News host wants 'South Park' investigated for blasphemy

By Gael Fashingbauer Cooper, TODAY
September 18, 2012

In the wake of news reports about the anti-Islam film "Innocence of Muslims," a Fox News host has decided that a bigger and more professionally made production, "South Park," should come under fire.

Todd Starnes, host of "FOX News & Commentary" and author of "Dispatches from Bitter America," spoke on a panel about "Religious Hostility in America" at the Values Voter Summit in Washington this past weekend, and Cartman and friends were on his mind.

"We have seen the administration come out and say, 'We condemn anyone who denigrates religious faith.' And they come out in regards to this anti-Muslim film," Starnes said. "Well, that's well and good, but my question is: When has the administration condemned the anti-Christian films that are coming out of Hollywood? Where are the federal investigations into shows like 'South Park,' which has denigrated all faiths? Where is the outrage when people of the Christian faith are subjected to this humiliation that is coming out of Hollywood?"

"South Park" has famously taken on religions of all kinds. Scientology is parodied in an episode where Stan is thought to be the reincarnation of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, and Scientologist Tom Cruise wouldn't come out of Stan's closet. Mormonism is mocked in an episode where Stan is impressed by a Mormon family's behavior, if not convinced of their beliefs. Cartman constantly makes fun of Kyle, the lone Jew among the four main characters. Catholicism, especially the child-molestation scandals involving priests, has also been targeted by the show.

"South Park" also portrayed Muhammad. In its fifth season, the show featured the "Super Best Friends," a superhero group led by Jesus and consisting of Muhammad, Buddha, Moses, Joseph Smith, Krishna, Laozi and an Aquaman parody called Sea Man. The episode first aired on July 4, 2001, before the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks of that year, and there was little fuss when Muhammad was portrayed. But when the show tried to show a Muhammad character in 2010, Comedy Central altered the episode.

In June, a Muslim man pled guilty to threatening the "South Park" creators over the 2010 episode and was sentenced to 11 1/2 years in prison.

Article

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Blasphemous South Park

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 am

So let's see...

They've insulted Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Catholics, Mormons...

Let me know when they get around to atheists.... ;)

There was a time when animated TV shows were so well done they didn't have to resort to insults and shock value to get an audience.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby siskavard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:49 am

I seem to recall them doing a show about atheism.

Trey Parker, one of the creators, is agnostic. I'll have to find the interview, but he says that the belief that there is no God is just as silly as any other religion. (or something to that effect)

I find it ridiculous that this guy is trying to divert blame over to a couple of doofuses who make a silly cartoon, instead of getting to the root of the real problem. I don't know what that root is, but I'm 100% sure blaming a cartoon isn't it. Political & religious satire is ALWAYS necessary, & anyone who can't laugh at themselves needs a serious head-check.
siskavard

Postby Charles » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:52 am

I'd rather watch Gundarr. :D

In the article there's a poll with almost 42,000 votes cast and of those votes only 4% want an investigation. A more than whopping 96% can live with the annoyance of South Park as there's freedom of speech.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion