animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

What's your approach to using pencils?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

What's your approach to using pencils?

Postby jeffnevins » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:14 pm

Col Erase, mechanical pencil, or something else?

I've been roughing BG/prop/character designs for games with my B/2B mechanical pencil for a few years now.

Since the housemate has a baby in the house, and another young child, I can't risk waking them with the electric sharpener duning a nap or at night.

The drawing may be a bit stiffer, but I've probably saved myself a lot of extra noise as well.

Maybe there are really quiet sharpeneers out there, though.

Side note: the one pencil I have is the one I used when working at Wild Brain 12 years ago & have used to this day. Pentel .5 from a Japan w/a cushion grip. A month ago, I was shocked when it snapped in half. Then realized I'd thrown it in anger a while back, and left it in the sun for years. :|

Taped it back together & am still using it. I might get another eventually... or switch back to Col Erase & move to where I can use it at will.
Someday.
jeffnevins

Re: What's your approach to using pencils?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Been using Col Erase blue for 17 years...although I've been doing a lot of live art demos at shows and jump into a lot of mediums for spontaneous expression...but when I draw on paper I tend to default to col...although, sometimes I feel like the mechanical pencils give me the proper edge and control at all times...mmmmmmm, maybe its time to hybrid the two!
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Here's a sample of my pencils with Col Erase...I'm kinda chunky. I draw like a sculpture...throw down mass scribbles of line, erase more then draw..lol..and then fine tune.

This one I scanned into photoshop and added some effects. back ground texture, half tones, cut out FX etc..

People still appreciate pencils. you don't always need to make it clean.
Attachments
SNAKEBITE_PENCILS.jpg
SNAKEBITE

Postby jeffnevins » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:44 pm

Cool- thanks for the reply. 8-)
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Great artwork bro. Here's something I did recently in both Col-erase blue and graphite pencils along with black line pen. Contrary to Jeff's situation I have the luxury of using an electric sharpener. I use soft leads like 2B and 4B to get a tone that can be blended with a tissue paper along with blending the blue. I used line where it's needed on top of the tone. One of many ways to use a variety of pencil techniques in art.

Monster5a.jpg

Monster4a.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion