animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

'Dick Figures' breaks Kickstarter record for funding

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

'Dick Figures' breaks Kickstarter record for funding

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 pm

From an article at AWN.com. Exciting news in the realm of Kickstarter campaigns and animated projects...

Dick Figures Breaks Kickstarter Record
By Jennifer Wolfe
July 12, 2012
AWN News

While animation projects on Kickstarter are as common as zombie references on Facebook, animated web series Dick Figures has achieved true standout success, and, with nearly 100 percent funding, may be well on its way to becoming an animated film.

After launching in November of 2010, Dick Figures has become the highest rated and most watched animated web series on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/show/dickfigures). The series is nearing the end of its fourth season, and in 18 months has accumulated 135 million views with a 99 percent positive rating. The series averages over four million unique views a week, and has an ever-growing following on Facebook and Twitter. The demand for merchandise has continued to grow as well; the soundtracks, and a large assortment of apparel and other products, are all available online with the first t-shirt order selling out in only eight hours.

Dick Figures is the brain child of Ed Skudder, who writes, directs and stars alongside creative partner Zack Keller. The show was hatched out of an internal development initiative at the animation studio Six Point Harness, when Ed made a funny short about two stick figures named Red and Blue. The creative team at Six Point partnered with Mondo Media, the largest animation distributor on YouTube, to create a series based around the characters.

In May 2012, Ed and Zack launched an ambitious Kickstarter campaign with the intention of raising $250K to make DICK FIGURES: THE MOVIE. The show and project has received national attention, and, now at $220K, DICK FIGURES: THE MOVIE has become the highest-funded animation Kickstarter project ever.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: 'Dick Figures' breaks Kickstarter record for funding

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:47 pm

As of this writing they've raised $263,666 with three days left to the campaign.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dic ... -the-movie

Daily Z

Charles

Postby EAllen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:59 pm

My jaw dropped.

Usually, when it comes to Kickstarter, I hear of projects which are partially funded, or primarily funded by Kickstarter, but not completely funded. That's just insane.

I think Kickstarter funds are this project's sole source of funds, if I'm reading the article right. If that's a fact, I find that to be extraordinary. Kickstarter funds an entire film from start to finish. How insane is that?

COMPLETELY outside of the studio system. Incredible. Absolutely phenomenal. Also, without having to raise funds from shortsighted equity financiers. Insane.

And since it's a movie with stick figures for principals, a quarter-million should easily cover prep, production and post with money left over to fund a raising of the remainder of the Titanic.
EAllen

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:02 pm

Pretty darn amazing isn't it.

Here's the latest. With 4,725 backers and 50 hours to go before the deadline and with an initial goal of $250,000 they're at $280,320.

And if you think that's exciting I've just been told of another Kickstarter campaign that makes the success of the Dick Figures campaign look like pocket change!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby TransRobo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:05 pm

I really hope that they reach their financial goal and can get the movie going. ^^

My favorite character in the show has to be either The Raccoon, Lord Tourettes, or Ocho Muerte (Translates from Spanish to English as "Eight Death", just so you know). The episode Ocho Muerte has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen in an online animated series since the clones episode from Eddsworld. :D

I feel bad for Blue, having to deal with Red's idiocy on a daily basis. XD
TransRobo

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Final tally for Dick Figures Kickstarter campaign...

Goal: $250,000
Pledged: $313,411
Backers: 5,616

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dic ... -the-movie

Daily Z

Charles

Postby TransRobo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:45 am

It's perfect!! :D Now we'll get the movie for sure!!
TransRobo

Return to General Discussion